Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Question Peter Pankhurst - Salehurst

Peter Pankhurst was christened in Ticehurst 19th July 1774 and he married Ann Farmer there on 14th Oct 1796. I have only found two children of this marriage, Peter c 1802 and James c 1807. Peter senior died 4th Oct 1846 and was buried in Salehurst.

I know that Peter parents were William & Elizabeth but I haven't been able to find them in the P.R's. Has anyone could across any likely candidates?
    Regards

Pauline Luck

Reputation beyond repute

Pankhurst is predominantly a Sussex/Kent surname but I'm sure you already know that.

The distribution map for the 1881 census shows the highest concentration in the Ticehurst Poor Law Union which ties up with what you've found.

In terms of Poor Law Unions, other high concentrations are in Tunbridge and Malling in Kent and in Battle and Hailsham in Sussex.

Not much of a steer, I'm afraid. However it does suggest some of the areas to concentrate on when you spread the net wider.

Jane M

Hi Pauline,
    This is the marriage of Peter from the Sussex Marriage Index, as you can see he's down as being from Waldron at the time of his marriage. I found another child for this couple on the LDS IG Index, Elizabeth Pankhurst born 25/10/1796, baptised 11/1796 d/o Peter & Ann Pankhurst at Chiddingly. An extracted record so fairly reliable.

Ticehurst, 14 Oct 1796
    Peter PANKHURST, Waldron
    Ann FARMER, otp (B)

This is the marriage of his father & mother.

Chiddingly, 4 Jun 1766
    William PANKHURST, Hellingly
    Elizabeth HICKES, otp (lic)

If you can't find other children for Peter & Ann, consider that Ann might have died & Peter remarried,

Jane

Starting to feel at home

Default Peter Pankhurst

Thank you Peter & Jane. Food for thought Peter, as regards a wider area.

Jane, thank you for the 'new' child and the marriage of William & Elizabeth, another new area for me to search. You are right in that Ann Farmer did die and was buried in Salehurst 2nd Apr 1829. Peter married again to Philidelphia Meadhurst in Salehurst on 25th Oct 1830. She was already 41 and trawling through the Saleshurst P.R's, I did not turn up any children before Peter died in 1846.

Once again, thank you both.

Pauline

Merrie

I expect you have already found this, but just in case...

My Pankhurst's also used the name PENTECOST and regularly swapped from one to the other. Other Sussex branches seem to do this too.

Other variants I have found are Penkhurst, Penkherst, Penticost, Pennycost and Pennicott etc.

My Pankhursts are from Withyham, Hartfield and Heathfield.
    Am stuck on Stephen Pentecost, born Heathfield Sx c. 1780, wife Hannah Botting.

Happy Hunting
    Merrie

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Merrie, I had found some of the varients but not all. I have not got back very far but they have used Pankhurst in all the areas I have searched to date. I will add your examples to my list. Thanks once again.

Pauline

bluekat

Hi Pauline it seems our Pankhurst familys are one in the same. Peter Pankhurst son of William who married Ann Farmer in 1796 had a son James, James married Frances Plumb and it is their son Charles b:1838 who married Mercy Martin in 1857. Their Daughter Alice Minnie Pankhurst Married my husbands great grandfather in Australia in 1890 William Henry Groves. There has been a story passed down through the Family over the years that Peter or William were related to the Suffragist Pankhursts. I have been trying to establish this, I believe it may have been wishful thinking but I wondered if you knew anything about it?
    Regards
    Sue Groves

Wilkes_ml

Hi, I don't know if these are related, but I have a distant relative Esther Selmes who married James Pankhurst at Hollington Sussex in 1797. They were Wesleyans and had several children baptised at the Wesleyan church at Rye, Sussex.

I don't know much about the Pankhursts, but this Esther's siblings were baptised at the Protestant Dissenting Minister chapel at Mountfield in 1790.

So it might be worth checking the non-conformist records.

Starting to feel at home

Default Peter Pankhurst

Hi Sue
    I am on holiday in New Zealand at the moment but I will be back next week. I have not found any link to the 'other' Pankhurst family...as yet.

I have found James & his children and am interested in learning more.

Bye for now

Pauline Luck

bluekat

Hey Pauline hope your having a great time. Look forward to conversing with you
    Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast