welshsue

Default De Maisey from Normandy

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can shed any information or point me to the direction, as to where I might obtain information.

A family member, has found that our ancestors came over with William The Conquerer in 1066, they originated from Grandcamp Maisey

The Name Maisey has had many spellings

Any help, very much appreciated

Sue

I believe that the one that came over with william the conqueror was Hugh de Masi - also spelled Mace, with an accent on the e.

There were many thousands of foot soldiers that came over with the conquering army

Ann Macey
    who keeps getting told that Macey is a name that came over with the conqueror
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Sharron

Here on the Wirral, I live not far from Saughall Massie, named for the family. And there is also Dunham Massie.

I will dig out my books on the Wirral and see what I have for you.

Guy Etchells

One must be very wary with claims as to who came with William. There are only 20 who can be proved with any confidence.
    1. Robert de Beaumont.
    2. Eustace, Count of Boulogne.
    3. William of Evreux.
    4. Geoffrey of Mortagne.
    5. William Fitz Osbern.
    6. Aimeri IV.
    7. Hugh de Montfort.
    8. Walter Giffard.
    9. Ralph de Toeni.
    10. Hugh de Grandmesil.
    11. William de Warenne.
    12. William Malet.
    13. Eudes (Odo), Bishop of Bayeux.
    14. Turstin Fitz Rou.
    15. Engenulf de Laigle
    Another five were certainly in the army and possible at the battle.
    16. Geoffrey de Mowbray.
    17. Robert of Mortain.
    18. Wadard, believed to be a follower of the Bishop of Bayeux.
    19. Vital, believed to be a follower of the Bishop of Bayeux.
    20. Goubert d'Auffay, seigneur of Auffay.

Many people use the Battle Abbey Rolls as a source but it must be taken into consideration that these were compiled centuries after the battle (probably in the 14th century) and the originals destroyed by fire in 1793.
    There are numerous copies of these rolls but the contents vary.
    Treat the BAR as one would treat the current IGI or Ancestral File.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Etchells; 25-11-2005 at 7:27 PM.

there you are you see, I was thinking of all the ordinary soldiers who were at the sharp end of the fighting. They were probably rewarded with a few coins or if they wanted to stay and subdue the rest of the country they were given a plot of land by their immediate boss. Although it wouldn't be a plot of land would it, it would just be the hovel at a peppercorn rent and so many days militia service per year.

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

welshsue

Default Maisey Family

Thank you every one for what you have written.

It looks like I have a lot of searching to do!!

I hope to eventually , let you know how I got on!!!!!!

Sharon, thank you for your kind offer, I would be very grateful for any information or advice from you or any one on this board.

Once again, many thanks

Sue

Sharron

Hi Sue,

Sorry for the delay - got caught up in other people's trees! Just one annual subscription to Ancestry and you find yourself offering to look up everybody's relations!

Okay. Most, if not all of Wirral was owned by the Priory of Birkenhead until they were leased to "an official of the Diocese of Chester". Sounds like insider trading to me!

There was a fishery at Saughall Massie at the time of Domesday, and also a mediaeval windmill. This (or rather its replacements!) became the centre of the smuggling industry that was prevalent up to and including the 19th century. Included with all the farmers in the 1851 census is a 'searcher' for HM Customs.

In Domesday, the settlement is called 'Salhale', the French word saule means a willow tree, and the name Salhale is supposed to derive from 'the hall or slop of willows'. there are willows in Saughall Massie to this day. The estate was held by Hamon de Mascy, with Mascy being a small town in Brittany.

Not very much info, I'm afraid, Sue. I thought I had more. All my books must be buried!

Hope this has been of some interest, if not help!

Sharron

RobinH

I come from a line of MACEs on my mother's side.
    These were silkweavers, probably Huguenots, in the Bethnal Green district
    of London.

Probably quite different from the Macey (and variants) line.

Robin Hoare