Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Question Christchurch Newspapers - 1902 - Death Notices

My g grandfather, Robert George Naish (age 36yrs, blacksmith) died suddenly of a heart attack on the 12th August 1902 in Springston. He left a wife and 5 young girls. His father died in the same way at much the same age. There was an inquiry as the death was so sudden and I have a copy of the death certificate.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me how to go about finding any newspaper reports or death notices of this event?

Thanks,

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 17-11-2005 at 7:24 PM.

Ed Matkin

Default Christchurch Newspapers-1902-death

Hi Mary. I live in Christchurch and can make some enquiries at the library if you like. I have only lived in Christchurch for about 2 years so don't know much about the history of local newspapers.The main one at present is The Press but there had been others in the past I believe.I am in the process of building a house so it might be a while before I can do any thing for you. I will be pleased to help as I need assistance in tracing details of my father. Incidentally I was born in Grimsby(aptly named). Ed

susan-w

This site's worth a look
    https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/index.html

It doesn't cover Christchurch for the year you want, but if you have any other events, you might be lucky. You can't search, though, you have to browse manually, which is quite time-consuming on-screen.

(I was able to confirm a marriage from an LDS-submitted record on familysearch.org - and the notice gave the name of the fathers, too.)

Cheers
    Sue

Ed Matkin

Smile Christchurch Newspapaers-1902-death

Hi again Mary. After I replied to your thread it dawned on me to look through the phone book for Naish.There are seven listed in Christchurch and one in Rangiora,which is about 40 kilometers out of Christchurch.As this is an unusual surname perhaps there may be a link there somewhere. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by susan-w
    Thanks Susan, that's a wonderful site isn't it. I found the death and inquest notices on the site last year - in The Star 15th & 18th December 1883 - for Robert's father-in-law, Peter MUIR. He came over queer when on a fishing trip, returned to the house in which he was a guest and died shortly afterwards. It tells you so much more about the person than the death certificate - wonderful though NZ certificates are (so much better than ours) !!!!

Ed - Thanks so much, that would be great! I'm happy to wait. I saw your post about William PENNINGTON. I hope someone can help.

Robert George NAISH had 5 daughters - Violet Margaret, Gladys Agnes, Dora Jane, Muriel & Ethel. Only Gladys remained single and she didn't have any children so the Naish name stops with them BUT Robert George was one of 4 children that I know of - the others are John Henry (born 1867), Matilda Jane (1868-1870), and William Thomas (1871-1919). It's possible that there might be links through John & Wiliam.

Thanks again,

Mary.

Ed Matkin

Default Christchurch Newspapers-1902-death notices

Hi Mary.I found two more Naish's in the phone book one was GR Naish in Akaroa about 60 miles from Christchurch. A few weeks ago I was at the Springston cemetery as part of a car run. It is very old and may have the grave of your g grandfather there. As it is a fair way from where I live I will try and visit it sometime in the next few weeks and see if I can locate a grave for you. I rang the Christchurch library today and was told that they have an archive of death notices on microfeche going back to beyond 1902. If you like I will get there sometime and do a search for you.It is only a pittance to photo copy the result so I could do that for you too. Good hunting. Ed

Hello Ed,

Thanks so much for both offers and yes please!

The Springston cemetary probably has a number of family graves - William George NAISH (d 1871), Matilda Jane NAISH (d. 1870 aged 2) Peter MUIR (d 1883) are also likely to be there. There's a tendancy for the men on this side of the family to die of heart disease in their 30s. I will be most grateful for anything you find - even a negative.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find both MUIRs and NAISHs still living in Akaroa. When Peter MUIR arrived in NZ he worked in Akaroa as a gardener before settling as a farmer in Springston. He had 10 children - 3 of whom were born in Scotland and the rest in Akaroa & Springston. Thanks for the information. I'll follow it up.

Thanks again,

Mary.

Ed Matkin

Unhappy

Hi Mary. I visited the Springston cemetery today together with my wife and stepson. He had come to visit for a couple of weeks from Auckland. We told him that we would take him to a quiet place for a picnic lunch but didn't tell him it was to be to a cemetery.He was not really impressed but did help us with the search which wasn't very fruitfull unfortunately. I did find a grave for an Agnes Thornton Muir.It didn't have a headstone but on a stone plaque at the foot of the grave it stated that she died on 28 December 1888 aged 39 yrs. I don't know if she is related to any of the Muirs you mentioned. I spoke to someone I think might have been the sexton who said that the Selwyn District Council will have records of everyone buried in this cemetery.I will contact them after the holiday period and see what info they have. They have an interesting web site you might be interested in,www.selwyn.gov.nz. I was browsing the web this evening and then discovered that there is another graveyard in Springston at the churchyard. I have to admit that we didn't see any sign of a church today but will endeavour to make another visit some time in the future for another search. I will also check the library for the death notices as promised. Oh yes. We did have a picnic lunch in the graveyard. Wishing you a happy and prosperous New Year . Regards Ed.

Ooo Ed, thanks. Yes I'm almost certain that Agnes Thornton Muir is one of my family - I'll have to check my records to be absolutely sure - and I didn't have her death details! And thanks for the link. I shall follow it up as soon as my parents go home. I hope you're stepson enjoyed his picnic even if he wasn't impressed with the location!

Thanks again and all the best for a succesful new year,

Mary.

Ed Matkin

Cool

Hi Mary.Yes we did enjoy the picnic as my wife is a magnificent cook.We went searching in Springston again today but didn't find any Naish graves but found ther following Muirs which might be of interest to you. Oswald Muir son of Donald and Mable,died 3/9/1925 age 17yrs. Donald died 8/10/1935 age 65,Mable died 9/11/1942 age 91.Marie Muir wife of Archie Muir died 9/11/42 age 76 Archie Claude Muir died 17/7/1951 age 91yrs. Edith Dainty Muir died 19/5/1987 age 89.All of theswe graves were at the St Marys Church Springston. I am going into the City on Tuesday and will attempt to find the Archived death notices for the Naish's you are researching,in the Library.Hope the above is of some help. Regards Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast