Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Ed you're wonderful!! Archie Claude Muir (Uncle Archie) was a farmer. I have a photo of him. He gave my Grandmother away at her wedding as her father had followed the Naish pattern of dying in his 30s and she had no brothers. The other names all sound right. I'll have to look them up to be certain. Thanks so much.

Mary.

Ed Matkin

Hi Mary.Me again with some encouraging news. I rang the Selwyn District Council,which I should have done ages ago.They do have records of burials in the public cemetery at Springston.They gave me the plot numbers for Robt Geo Naish no 38:Marg Naish no39 and Agnes Naish no68.Eh up!! Agnes shares a plot with a Thomas Robertson Barnett?????? Wots going on here then? The person at the council conceded that there may be an error here more likely a transcription error he said. They are going to send me out a plan of the cemetery so I can do a search again. We are amazed that we didn't find these graves as we did a diligent search. Never mind must have been having a senior day. Please forgive the spelling in my last reply. I suffer from fat finger syndrome, some days it's worse than others.Tonight it's particularly bad so Ive been through this a couple of times to edit it. Happy hunting Regards Ed.

Ed you're wonderful! Thank you so much.

Mary.

Ed Matkin

Talking

Christchurch City Library had newspapers dated 1902 on mcrofilm. On 13/8/02 the following death notice was shown in The Press.Naish on 12th August at Springston Robert G the beloved husband of Margaret Naish,aged 36years suddenly. The photocopy of this is very poor otherwise I would have scanned it and emailed it to you.Now other Naish'sI found the following info. Robert John Naish born 16/2/06 baptised 6/9/06 Parents William T and Harriett A Naish.Occupation Railway surfacweman Registered in the Prebyterian Church Motokurara.This is between Diamond harbour and Springston. Still very rural but no longer has a railway.Marriage Wm Naish and Mary Jane Moore on 8/3/1905 occupation painter.Witness Robert Moore,Margaret Anne Moore,Lorenzo Moore M.A at Papanui Church.I might need to recheck that date again. Wm Goe Naish burried 26/11/1871 age 33 yrs Occ painter.Funeral at Holy trinity Church Avonside. Matilda Jane Naish buried 24/2/1870 age 14 months.NoK Wm Geo and Mary Jane Naish at Holy Trinity Church Avonside Robt Geo Baptised 11/3/1866 born 10/01/1866 Parents Wm Geo and Mary Jane Sponsors Marg Moore Robt Moore Wm Geo Naish .more to come. Ed

Ed Matkin

Hi Mary.Do you recall an Oswald Muir I located buried at St Marys Springston. I have some more info re him. Oswald buried 8/9/28 adopted son of Donald Muir of Sockburn. Sockburn is not too far from Springston. If you would like me to do any follow up on any of this I would be happy to do so but it won't be anytime soon. We are planning a trip to Europe in April so we are pretty well tied up with the house and other things. I am pleased to help anyway I can in your research as I would like someone to assist me too. Hope all of this is of interest. Regards Ed.

Ed thanks so much. You've given me far more than I could ever have hoped for. I wish I could return the favour. I've ben looking again at your post and it's a real puzzler isn't it.

Thanks again. Good luck with the house and I hope you have a great time in Europe.

Mary.

Ed Matkin

Hi Mary. I received the plan of Springston Cemetery today. Will revisit there when I can. Regards Ed

Thanks Ed. You've found so much for me already. I will be very grateful if you go again but only if and when you've got time. You've been very generous already. Thanks again.

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 18-01-2006 at 3:51 PM.

Ed Matkin

Talking

Hi Mary 5 more discoveries.#1 Wm Naish and Mary Jane Moore marriage date 8/3/1865.#2 The map the council supplied of the plots in their cemetery is not worth a fig.#3 despite this we found the following graves. Peter Muir.The headstone reads.In loving memory of Peter MUIR died Dec14th 1883 age 51 yrs.Weep not for him just gone to sleep Reclining on his saviours breast his soul in safety God will keep While he enjoys his peaceful rest. Also Margaret wife of the above died 16th Dec 1915 age 86 yrs at rest.She shares the same plot as Peter#4 In loving memory of Gladys A Naish 1894-1941.occupies a single plot.#5 In Loving Memory of My Dear Husband Robert George Naish.Died suddenly August 12 1902.Our dear fathers gone before us from this world of toil and pain Now to join the heavenly chorus another link to glorys chain. ALso our dear mother Margaret Naish died 19th Dec 1925 aged 59.She shares the same plot as Robert. Seems December was a favourite month for this family to take their final trips doesn't it.Kind regards Ed

Smile

Many Thanks Ed. These are all people I recognise. Last steps, first steps, and weddings all take place in December for large sections of my family. It skipped 2 generations but I decided to join in - it's my birth month too though my mother swears I was supposed to arrive in November

It looks as though my Grandmother & her sisters added to Robert Naish's stone later - they weren't old enough at the time. Gladys Agnes Naish was one of them - the only one who didn't marry. I always think it's fascinating to read what people put on headstones. I have a copy of a letter written by my g grandmother - Margaret Naish - to the Presbyterian Missionary Society giving her permission for my grandmother to go to China as a missionary and the general tone is very similar to these inscriptions.

Thanks again,

Mary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast