Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Ormskirk Advertiser (1874, 1875 and 1880) carries adverts where "... Thomas Ainsccough (Robert's) ..." is offering farm produce (grass, hay, clover) for sale/auction. The 1874/5 adverts refer to Lane End Farm, Churchtown and the 1880 adverts to Winnacre Brow, Moss Lane.

Trying to determine the significance of the surname "Robert's" in brackets?
    Wow! This is very interesting - thank you.
    I do not know of the name Robert's.

Would it be possible to send me a link to The Ormskirk Advertiser adverts please, or give me some tips for searching. I have access to newspapers with FMP membership, although I do not have a good success rate with searching (so far).
    Thanks again for your help helachau.

Starting to feel at home

I have just read the adverts you refer to, very interesting - I do not know of the name Robert's.. like you, I wonder what is the significance of Robert's surname. Thanks again for your help. Lin

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

"Robert's" could be the name of the farm. and of no significance in this enquiry. Not saying it is, but it could be.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Alpineted View Post
    Wow! This is very interesting - thank you.
    I do not know of the name Robert's.

Would it be possible to send me a link to The Ormskirk Advertiser adverts please, or give me some tips for searching. I have access to newspapers with FMP membership, although I do not have a good success rate with searching (so far).
    Thanks again for your help helachau.
    As a result of your message re advertising, I thought I would check OS map for Winacre Brow farm, to see if any reference to Robert's - I did not find that. However, I did find Ainscough's covert, West Lancs nearby.
    I do not know what 'covert' means in relation to land and I do not know what this signifies - I did not know of this.

I have been looking (so far without success) for Ainscough's lodge which is shown as the Ainscough family address in the 1841 census - but I have been unable to locate it so far.
    I am hoping another forum member may be able to locate. Fingers crossed!
    Thank you all for your help.

"dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

I had not checked it helachau, I have just followed the link you provided - thank you, I noted that Winacre Brow covert is up at the top of the map. I also saw reference to Twist's farm (I think) and that was a name that appeared in some of the adverts in The Ormskirk Advertiser.
    Unfortunately I could not see an Ainscough's lodge. Thank you for the link, that will be helpful to me in the future as well.

Did you check for "Ainscough's Lodge" in the Ormskirk Advertiser. A couple of articles about highway repairs eg. -

1872 "from Ainscough's Lodge to Bescar Chapel"
    1873 "from Ainscough;s Lodge to bescar Station"

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101102684#z...5565&layers=BT

Can see station and chapel (Methodist) but not Ainscough's Lodge. There are several Lodges surrounding Carisbrick Hall - but unnamed. Click on map to scroll.

You can find a Thomas Ainscough, age 45, at Ainscough's Lodge on the '41 Census. Fleet Street mentioned on same page and Black Moss Lane on next page of Census.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344012#z...0418&layers=BT

In '51 Thomas is at "Bescar" and the following address is "Fleet Street Lane".

Starting to feel at home

You can find a Thomas Ainscough, age 45, at Ainscough's Lodge on the '41 Census. Fleet Street mentioned on same page and Black Moss Lane on next page of Census.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344012#z...0418&layers=BT

In '51 Thomas is at "Bescar" and the following address is "Fleet Street Lane".
    I can see the 2 lodges you mention in the link you sent, I have also looked at a birds eye view of current day map. I have found one of the lodges (I think) - it is called Pine Lodge and is at the entrance to Scarisbrick Hall, which is now a private school. Do you think that might be the renamed Ainscough Lodge?
    I cannot see a second lodge, but surely that will not have been demolished? ... But then again, I am not very good with maps - so it may be operator error!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12