Settling in

Default Garnett family problem

Hi everyone,I have a sort of brick wall developed on my husband's tree,brought about by someone sending me wrong info. I checked it out myself,& in the process of doing that discovered another discrepancy regarding my husband's 3x gt grandad. 2x Gt grandad is John Garnett born abt 1835. I had previously picked him up as John Mitchell Garnett, but this proved to be wrong as father didn't pan out. However, I have John Garnett's marriage certificate showing that he married Elizabeth Brown on 11th Dec 1860 & showing his father's name as James Garnett.This name does not come up anywhere that I can find - all other linked family trees show either John or William Garnett as father to John. I have found three James Garnetts in the Kendal/Heversham/Milnthorpe districts, around the right age group ( I used Abt 1810 as my start point)but I cannot find any links to John. Please can someone point me in the right direction.
    Many thanks
    Susannah

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

So we all start by looking at proven records you have, what information do you have for John Garnett, born about 1835, in the 1861 census where he should be shown as married to Elizabeth nee Brown?
    Need his age, occupation, where born, and where living. If you have the census reference which will begin RG9/RG09 so much the better.
    Does his age, occupation, and place of birth remain consistent in the 1871, 1881, 1891, etc census?
    Have you worked back from the 1861 census to the 1851 and 1841 census?

And finally, have you checked any parish records for a baptism for your John?
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Susannah -
    No, I haven't lost my brain cell.
    We need to make sure we get the correct John to trace backwards before we can think about who his father might be. Hence all my questions about John.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Hi Pam, many thanks for your replies & I never thought that you had lost a brain cell! I'm just so annoyed with myself for not realising I had the wrong name for John's father,even though it was on his marriage certificate.I've been doing this for years & can't believe I missed that vital piece of info.Everything seemed to be unravelling which ended up with me in a bit of a panic & I just thought of the forum.However, having slept on it & read your advice I am starting from scratch with John & his ancestors.I have deleted all the tree above John,apart from his dad, so I shall restart my research. My brick wall is now officially on hold & I shall hopefully get things right this time. Many thanks again for your time & help.
    Susannah

Valued member of Brit-Gen

On FMP there is a John Garnett b1828 Father James Garnett 1780 - 1849 married Agnes Cummings 1816 in Kendal. Could be worth a look.

There's a John Garnett b1828 on Familysearch. Father James Garnett 1780-1849 m Agnes Cummings 1816 in Kendal. Could be worth a look.
    Last edited by pat fowles; 17-03-2024 at 8:04 AM. Reason: More info

Meant Familysearch not FMP....sorry.

Settling in

Thank you Pat, I shall follow that up & see where it leads me.
    Regardssusannah

Famous for offering help & advice

There’s a newspaper notice for the marraige.
    December 15 1860, Westmoreland Gazette & Kendal Advertiser.

At Milnthorpe Church on the 11th instr by the Rev F T Raikes.
    Mr John Garnett,bobbin-turner,Preston Patrick to Elizabeth Brown of Milnthorpe.