Thread: Scottish Wills

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Scottish Wills

I've been doing some research for my sister in law. Her great grandfather died in 1914, and in Ancestry's "Scotland, National Probate Index (Calendar of Confirmations and Inventories), 1876-1936" I can see his will listed and it says that "confirmation granted at Aberdeen 7 March 1915 to his widow" and that it was recorded in the "Court Books of Commissariot of Aberdeen 4 March 1915.

I can also see it listed in Ancestry's "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995", where it says that it was sealed London 16 July 1915.

So why does it appear in both, and where would a copy be obtained from?

I have no idea why it appears in two different sets of records but ScotlandsPeople may help with finding the will.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/g...d%20testaments

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Generally speaking as a Layman, I believe Wills were sealed in London if the Primary jurisdiction was in Scotland (and presumably in reverse). In other words it wouldn't be dealt with by the English Probate Office if the affairs of the deceased were primarily in Scotland.
    In your case probate has been granted in Scotland in March. so the probate was effectively closed (as it wasn't relevant) in England in July.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It usually indicates the deceased had assets in more than 1 jurisdiction, so had to be dealt with in each. I live in Northern Ireland and many people here have assets in Scotland or England as well as in NI. Their wills/probate files are held by PRONI in NI and are often noted as resealed in London, Edinburgh etc. Obtain a copy from the primary source.
    ELWYN

Brick wall demolition expert!

Thank you to everyone for your useful input.