Default Two children with same name in one family?

I'm not sure where to post this. People in this forum have been a massive help in leading me in the right direction with my Faulkner family. I am curious, though, was it common for a couple to use the same name more than once? Say, for instance, if "John" dies as a child and then the next son is also named John?

Looking at Daniel and Catharine Faulkner/Falekner/Falconer in Kingham, Oxfordshire. The same couple appears to have a son named John in 1803 and then another named John in 1807. The same record book shows several spellings for the last name, including Daniel Falkenhill's baptism in 1769. I think it's all the same family, however, since it appears to be a small community.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Always look for a death/burial for the earlier-born child(ren), but yes, it was very common for later children to be given the same name as an earlier-born child. I found one instance where five children were given the name Samuaal until one grew into an adult.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Even where both children survived, if the two grandparents had the same forename, two babies might be given the same forename, and were then called by variations - maybe something as simple as big and little Jimmy, James and Jimmy, etc. I know of a family where two daughters both used their middle names, neither actually being called by the shared forename.

My husband's ancestor, William, had three earlier siblings named William who died young. I got into the habit of numbering them, and then shocked my mother-in-law when I told her she was descended from William IV
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thank you. I did find a burial date for the first John. Looks like he was 1yo when he passed.