Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BeeE586

Yes Neil - I have been down every road I could think of and been through the Chesterfield registers more than once looking for possible variations. I have entered variations in IGI and other searches for all counties, been through Rod's CD of Phillimore marriages, studied the DRS book of Chesterfield wills, searched the 'ring' of parishes around Chesterfield - and come up with nothing. I suspect that she is one lady i shall never find.

Eileen --

Jack Richards

Hi Eileen

I have spent some time looking through my research and I cannot find any reference to your query. I have looked around the Scarcliffe, Palterton and Sutton Scarsdale areas.

I know you will have researched in depth, hence it is difficult to make suggestions.

You are specific about the name HATFIELD as opposed to HADFIELD. Had there been a bit of doubt about the latter name, I would have suggested that you had a look at some lengthy detailed in depth research by a man named HADFIELD, who died about 3 or 4 years ago. His research centered on the PEAK FOREST village in Derbyshire but covered areas around there. He has hundreds of HADFIELD names and likewise pages of research. Not sure where his work has been deposited but he lived in the Nuthall, Nottinghaam area in later years.

I have noted your query names and will put them on my work sheets for the future.

Regards

Jack

Jack Richards

Eileen

I omitted that I referrred to the late Roger Hadfield (known affectionately to a few as) "Sir Roger". If you decide to investigate, he will have been well known to Deryshire F.H.S. and will have submitted articles. A copy of his work may be at Nottingham University.

Refence your name RENCORNE, a suggestion was for variant spellings, which you will have considered.

On a very similar theme, the person writing the name may not have been familiar with the area and the strong dialects around Chesterfield and districts. He or she may have transcribed the name incorrectly.

I wonder if it would be helpful, if we knew from which document(s) you obtained the name?

Regards

Jack

Wirral

Hi Eileen
    Have you considered Rensall, Renshall & Redferne as possible candidates? There are a number of marriages with these names at Chesterfield around the time of your Rencorne marriage in 1702.
    Have you been able to view the actual church entry? I notice on the IGI that the names in the 1702 marriage entry are both in their latin form. Is there an entry for the banns of the marriage? That might possibly have a different spelling.
    I do not know if there are any other transcriptions of Chesterfield records, but the Chesterfield records are not included in the Phillimore's list.

BeeE586

To Wirrall and Jack - I got the marriage from the actual Chesterfield Register in the days when I was able to visit Matlock RO. By far the greatest part of my research done over many years has been from 'original' sources or films or fiche of same. I know of the RENSHAW/RENSHALL name - they married into my families although none in my direct line, and they appear in a number of parishes in the area. Regarding HATFIELD/HADFIELD - both variations appear in the family line, one child may be baptized with a 'T', the next two with 'D' depending on the whim of the scribe, and so on. At one point in this Chesterfield register the name SIDDALL becomes SIDDON for a year or two.

Regarding the Latin; usually it is only the Forename that is Latinized, Gulielmus, Johannis, Radulphus, etc, - have you come across a Latinized Surname ever ?

Regarding "Sir Roger" - I believe I corresponded with him in the past, as I have with a number of other researchers but no one has a line on Anna Rencorne. I belonged to DBY FHS for many years and am still a member of NTT.

Thank you both for your suggestions. It is a while since I did any work on this and you have got me going again.

Eileen

cherylnn

I have many family names in Derbyshire, I visited there last August to research, but didn't have enough time. I too am related to the Haslam family. Mary Ann Haslam married Matthew Shaw, a 2nd marriage for both, with a combined bunch of 17 children. They emigrated to the USA, where Matthew Wiggins Shaw died in 1876 in Wellsville, Utah. I would really appreciate seeing your research. Mary Ann had previously been married to James Lindley. She was born in Unsworth in 1828. I have had little luck in finding Matthew Shaw's family. He was born in Pendleton, Lancashire in 1820 and was married to Elizabeth Ainsworth before marrying Mary Ann. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Knowledgeable and helpful

another great site for Tivey family of Derbyshire is Jan Tiveys tiveyfamily.com many other names also.

sandie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Eileen, My Cheetham Connection is with my 3x Great Grandmother Martha Cheetham 3/3/1757 died 10/3/1830 she married my GGG Grandfather Ambrose Blackham 26/3/1777. Her parents were Samuel Cheetham 1736 died 22/12/1796 & Mary Webster 1730 died 31/12/1813.Samuel's parents were Samuel Cheetham 1701 & Ann Fox 1701.

I also have a Emma Boot 21/11/1877-29/12/1965 married John William Blackham 13/6/1899,her parents were Samuel Boot 26/3/1837-1920 Mary Hooton 11/6/1841

Do any of these names feature on your Family tree?

Regards Ellen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Unfortunately Eileen is no longer a member of the forum, but may see your message if she still checks the site occasionally.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12