ROWE
    TREFUSES
    TRELOAR
    TREMAYNE
    TRENGROUSE
    TRESIDDER
    VIVIAN
    WEARNE
    Last edited by Diane Grant-Salmon; 05-11-2004 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Added More Surnames
    Good luck with your research everybody!

kjfoster

Default Re: Surname interests - Constantine & Wendron

Diane,

The Bowden family is one that I am also covering in my research. The information I have to date is as follows:

William Bowden was christened 3 December 1825 in Constantine. I believe his parents were James and Argent. James was a farmer at the time of the christening and living at Seworgan. As far as I can tell William died between 1865 and 1876. He was variously a farmer (1858, 1861) and a miner (1851). The addresses I have for him are:
    - Tokarne, Wendron - 1851;
    - Trewedna, Perranarworthal - 1861.

His wife, Mary, was born in Constantine around 1825 but I don't yet have a record of their marriage. She was still living in 1881 but had moved to Spennymoor in County Durham with her daughter and was a midwife. An additional address for her is Pollean, Perranarworthal in 1858 when one of her daughters was born.

I have identified seven children:
    - John, born around 1850, Wendron;
    - James, christened 21 March 1852, Constantine. He was a granite quarryman living at 1 Edgcumb, Wendron in the 1901 census, married to Martha with a son, Samuel;
    - Mary Ann, born around 1855 in Perranarworthal;
    - Elizabeth Jane, born 13 July 1858 in Perranarworthal. She is the connection to my wife's family and later moved to County Durham, had 12 children and died in Leeds in 1938;
    - Cordelia, born around 1860 in Perranarworthal;

- George, born around 1862 in Basalcouston. He also moved to County Durham and was an engine driver in 1881;

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Talking Hello Cousin!

William BOWDEN b. 3 December 1825 in Constantine d. 2 Feb 1847 Constantine, son of James BOWDEN m. Argent SYMONS. James d. 15 Aug 1825 Constantine and Argent married Nicholas PETERS on 10 June 1826 Constantine ...... census below:

CENSUS JUNE 1841
    Dwelling: Seworgan, Constantine, Cornwall

Nicholas PETERS (36) Head, Farmer
    Argent PETERS (39)
    Harriet BOWDEN (19)
    James BOWDEN (17)
    William BOWDEN (16)
    Martha PETERS (11)
    Nicholas PETERS (9)
    Jane PETERS (7)
    Henry PETERS (4)
    Catherine PETERS (10 mths)

James BOWDEN (above) b. 9 March 1800 Constantine, son of William BOWDEN m. Avis RAIL. William b. 12 March 1758 Constantine, son of Benjamin BOWDEN m. Jane ROBERTS. This couple had 8 children altogether, one of them was:

Benjamin BOWDEN b. 27 Dec 1840 Constantine m. Mary TRELOAR. This couple had 12 children altogether, one of them was:

John BOWDEN b. 1 Jan 1783 Constantine m. Mary MOYLE. This couple had 5 children altogether, one of them was:

William BOWDEN b. 2 April 1826 Wendron d. 4 Dec 1874 at 12 George Street, Whitworth, Durham.
    He married (1) Eleanor HODGE on 21 Feb 1847 Wendron. She died Oct-Dec 1847 Wendron, possibly in childbirth, as their son, William BOWDEN b. Oct-Dec 1847 Wendron was brought up by Eleanor's Parents.

William married (2) Mary KEVERN on 8 March 1849 Helston Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.
    Mary was b. 15 May 1825 Constantine d. 7 Sept 1885 at 6 Duncombe Street, Spennymoor, Durham, daughter of John KEVERN m. Mary RASHLEIGH.

William and Mary BOWDEN had 8 children altogether:

John bap. 21 May 1850 Helston Wesleyan Chapel aged 2 mths.
    James bap. 21 March 1852 Constantine m. Martha J. DUNSTAN
    Mary Ann born 1 Aug 1856 Little Pollean, Perranarworthal m. Thomas Henry FORREST (My Gr. Grandparents) with Mary in 1881
    Cordelia born Jan-March 1860 in Perranarworthal m. John Morton ROWE
    George born 18 Nov 1861 Perranarworthal m. Ann JEFFERSON
    Samuel Kevern b. Jan-Mar 1864 Perranarworthal d. 8 Oct 1874 10 George Street, Whitworth, Durham of typhoid fever, so maybe that's why the family moved to No: 12 where William died? Or a mistake on one of the Death Certs?
    Clara born Apr-Jun 1866 Perranarworthal m. William ROBSON
    Elizabeth Jane ..... I only had her year of birth until your posting. Also that she married Frederick FOSTER in 1876 and had 10 children, I found this out from the 1881/1891/1901 Censuses, so I'm missing a couple!

Nadine Harmon

Default Rowe

I noticed you are researching the name ROWE. I have a Thomas Rowe, born c 1846, Knightsbridge, Middlesex; died 1899 Bethnal Green; married Rose Cook. Their children: Thomas: born c 1867 in Islington, Middlesex and Rose Ann: born c 1871, London City.
    1901 Census: Civil Parish: Leyton - Essex
    Thomas Rowe Head M 34 years Islington, London
    Annie Rowe Wife M 29 years Wapping, London
    Annie Rowe Dau 7 years Leytonstone, Essex
    Joseph Rowe Son 5 years Leytonstone, Essex
    Rose Rowe Mother 60 years Clerkenwell, London
    Rose Rowe Sister 30 years EC, London
    I Rooney Vistor 74 years Ireland
    Family was residing at: 35 Acucia Rd., Leyton, Essex.

Is this perhaps the family you are also researching?
    Nadine

Unhappy Nadine - Rowe Family

Hello Nadine,

Unfortunately I don't have your family in my files, all my lot lived in Cornwall, but you could post your surname interests on the Middlesex/London forum.

Good Luck!

kjfoster

Diane,

Thank you for your reply earlier this month, you have certainly made more progress down this avenue than I have.

Having read your notes, I think that it is the second William, son of John Bowden that is the right one and that I had been looking at the wrong one in the first one, son of James. Since I have details of William on the 1861 census in Perranarworthal with Mary and their first five children and, of course, as Elizabeth Jane's father in 1858 he cannot have died in 1847. Also, looking again at Elizabeth Jane's birth certificate and having never been able to read her mother's maiden name I can convince myself it says Kevern. SO thank you for putting me on the right track.

One question, you give Benjamin's birth date as 27/12/1840, but if he was John's father did you mean 1740?

Additional information that I have picked up that you probably already have:
    1901 census for 1 Edgcumb, Wendron
    James BOWDEN H M 49 Granite Quarryman, b Constantine
    Martha BOWDEN W M 48, b Wendron
    Samuel BOWDEN S S 6, b Wendron

The children of Frederick and Elizabeth Jane that I have are:
    Eda, b 1876 in Spenneymoor
    arworthal with Mary and their first five children and, of course, as Elizabeth Jane's father in 1858 he cannot have died in 1847. Also, looking again at Elizabeth Jane's birth certificate and having never been able to read her mother's maiden name I can convince myself it says Kevern. SO thank you for putting me on the right track.

One question, you give Benjamin's birth date as 27/12/1840, but if he was John's father did you mean 1740?

Additional information that I have picked up that you probably already have:
    1901 census for 1 Edgcumb, Wendron
    James BOWDEN H M 49 Granite Quarryman, b Constantine
    Martha BOWDEN W M 48, b Wendron
    Samuel BOWDEN S S 6, b Wendron

The children of Frederick and Elizabeth Jane that I have are:
    Eda, b 1876 in Spenneymoor
    William, b Jan 1877 in Spenneymoor
    Fred Walter, b 1881 in Spenneymoor
    Arthur, b July 1884 in Spenneymoor
    Herbert George, b Jan 1886 in Spenneymoor
    Elizabeth Jane, b 1890 in Esh, Co. Durham
    Frances Florence, b 1893 in Esh
    Hilda Mary, b Apr 1895 in Esh
    Beatrice Mabel Winifred, b Oct 1897 in Middlesborough - my wife's grandmother
    Jack
    Ginnie
    Nolly

I don't have birth dates for the last three, and will ask my mother in law if she knows, but I do not think they were younger than Beatrice.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the two extra children of Elizabeth ....... Jack is John and I had him in my file already.

Benjamin BOWDEN was b. 27 Dec 1740 ........ a typing error on my part, sorry! However, as stated in my first sentence of my first message, the William BOWDEN who died in 1847 was the son of James & Argent BOWDEN, our William died in 1874 at 12 George Street, Whitworth, Durham.

I assume you have the Censuses for 1881 and 1901 for your Elizabeth, as I do, but not sure if you have the two for 1871 and 1891 so I'll put them here for you. In the 1871 Census, the Ann VIVIAN mentioned is the older sister of our Mary KEVERN.

If there's anything else you want to know, please don't hesitate to ask.

CENSUS APRIL 1871
    Dwelling: Constantine, Cornwall

William VIVIAN (52) Married Male born Constantine
    Rel: Head
    Occ: Farm Labourer

Ann VIVIAN (49) Married Female born Constantine
    Rel: Wife

Bessie BOWDEN (12) Female born Perran
    Rel: Niece

CENSUS APRIL 1891
    Dwelling: Durham Road Waterhouses, Brandon, Durham

Frederick FOSTER (36) Head Marr Draper's Asst.
    Elizabeth (32) Wife b. Cornwall
    Ada (14) Daughter b. Spennymoor
    William (13) Son Brickmaker b. Spennymoor
    Fred Walter (11) Son b. Spennymoor
    John (9) Son b. Spennymoor
    Arthur (7) Son b. Spennymoor
    Herbert (4) Son b. Spennymoor
    Elizabeth (1) Daughter b. Esh Winning

kjfoster

Diane,

Thank you for the additional census information which you are right, I didn't have. It might help me to find Fred Foster's birth record because I have previously been looking for someone born in 1850 in Burslem, Staffordshire but the 1891 census suggests he was born in about 1855; since there are various family rumours about Fred it would be good to find this information.

Keith

lmorgan

Question TREMAYNE surname question

Hi Diane

Just a quick follow-up question on your TREMAYNEs. Did their surname ever vary between TREMAYNE and MAYNE (and variations of)? I have MAYNE as one of my direct lines and it seemed as if every now and then they decided to become TREMAYNE. There is no pattern that I have been able to discern and just wondered if it's happened to anyone else researching either of the two surnames.

Hi Lesley,

I haven't come across that variation in the name ...... only TREMAYNE and TREMAIN.

I've got loads of them in my file, but only one MAYN - Florence b. 1757 and four MAYNE's - Gertrude b. 1754 James b. Abt 1730 Joane b. Abt 1630 and Joane b. Abt 1580.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast