Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    blueandwhite4_ever

Default Mutton family search

I am wondering if anyone out there has a Thomas Mutton in their family tree? He was probably born about 1820 in Cornwall. Info I have says he married a Mary Ann Symons and they had three daughters, Mary Jane and Eliza being born in Liskeard, and Sophia Ann born in Launceston before they emigrated to Ontario, Canada where they had thirteen more children. I believe they first went to Darlington Ontario and then on to Perth County, Ontario. They may have been married in Maders, Cornwall. Any info would really be appreciated. Thanks ... Dawn

Lynda Cunningham

Hi Dawn

I've found the reference for their marriage

Marriage Mar 1843
    MUTTON Thomas Liskeard Vol: 9 Page: 193
    SYMONS Mary Anne Liskeard Vol: 9 Page: 193

You can order a certificate online at
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

which will provide you with the
    District, Church, Parish, Location,
    Date of Marriage, Forename & Surnames, Ages,
    Marital Conditions, Professions, Addresses,
    Father's Forename & Surname, Father's Occupations, for both parties present.
    Witness names, Priest/Vicar's Name,& Signature

Hope that helps?

best wishes & happy hunting
    Lynda
    Last edited by Lynda Cunningham; 03-11-2005 at 7:11 PM.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Dawn,

if his father turns out to be a Robert, then he might be the son of Robert MUTTON and Sophia RICHARDS. In my notes, and not verified by me personally, I have...

Fourth child:
    Thomas MUTTON, born 1823 in Brownswell, Cornwall, England
    Died: ???
    Baptized: 20 Apr 1823 in Stoke Climsland, Cornwall England
    Thomas appears to have married Mary Ann SYMONS in 1843.

Sophia died in Brownswell, (Brownswill?) 1831, and Robert remarried in 1832 - 8 known children in the first marriage, 7 known children with Deborah Collings - the last born about 1847 They emigrated with four children to Australia in 1857. My husband descends from the 5th child of the first marriage.

ChristineR
    Victoria, Australia

blueandwhite4_ever

Lynda
    Thanks so much for the info. ........ Dawn

blueandwhite4_ever

Christine
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully there is a link there since I've found few fellow researchers searching this line. Thanks .....Dawn

blueandwhite4_ever

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR
    Dawn,

if his father turns out to be a Robert, then he might be the son of Robert MUTTON and Sophia RICHARDS. In my notes, and not verified by me personally, I have...

Fourth child:
    Thomas MUTTON, born 1823 in Brownswell, Cornwall, England
    Died: ???
    Baptized: 20 Apr 1823 in Stoke Climsland, Cornwall England
    Thomas appears to have married Mary Ann SYMONS in 1843.

Sophia died in Brownswell, (Brownswill?) 1831, and Robert remarried in 1832 - 8 known children in the first marriage, 7 known children with Deborah Collings - the last born about 1847 They emigrated with four children to Australia in 1857. My husband descends from the 5th child of the first marriage.

ChristineR
    Victoria, Australia
    Christine
    I think that there it is possible that Thomas' father could be Robert since info I found says: 1843 Mar. 30 Mutten (Mutton?) Thomas (M) 19, Bach. labourer, Maders, Robert Mutton, farmer, Symons, Mary Anne (M) 19, Sp. Maders, William Symons, Labourer, Eliza Peller, William Symons, both (M) By-
    Do you have any other info on Robert Mutton and family? Is Robmessage=Christine
    I think that there it is possible that Thomas' father could be Robert since info I found says: 1843 Mar. 30 Mutten (Mutton?) Thomas (M) 19, Bach. labourer, Maders, Robert Mutton, farmer, Symons, Mary Anne (M) 19, Sp. Maders, William Symons, Labourer, Eliza Peller, William Symons, both (M) By-
    Do you have any other info on Robert Mutton and family? Is Robert and Sophia Mutton in your family group? Interesting to note that my Thomas and Mary Ann named their children (among others) William, Eliza, Sophia Ann, and Robert. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks in advance. ....... Dawn

I believe this is the family in 1841 - Thomas is not there, and nor is second wife Deborah (I believe I got it from freecen) Anthony is probably the child baptised as Arthur in 1827. John is the first child of the second marriage, and Joanne is actually Jane Ann (it is her descendent that has given me most of my information)

Piece: HO107/133/1 Place: East-Cornwall Enumeration District: 1
    Civil Parish: Callington Ecclesiastical Parish: -
    Folio: 5 Page: 3
    Address: Pengilly
    Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    MUTTON Robert M 40 Farmer Cornwall
    MUTTON Anthony M 14 Cornwall
    MUTTON Richard M 12 Cornwall
    MUTTON John M 10 Cornwall
    MUTTON Mary F 25 Cornwall
    MUTTON Harriot F 20 Cornwall
    MUTTON Mary F 7 Cornwall
    MUTTON Joanna F 1 Cornwall
    SHEERS William M 20 Male Servant Cornwall
    NICHOLSON Eliza F 20 Dress Maker Cornwall
    - Sophia F 6 Cornwall probably NICHOLSON

cont....

cont...

However, every time Robert is mentioned he has a different occupation!
    When my William Henry (son of Robert and Sophia) married in Jersey, his father was recorded as a butcher. Then when Robert emigrated he was a miner - and this occupation is given in William's will.

And just to confuse things, here he is as a bootmaker - with wife as Mary, not Deborah. We haven't solved that one yet. And yes, he had a child called Mary with both wives.

Piece: HO107/1899 Place: Alternon-Cornwall Enumeration District: 4b
    Civil Parish: Stoke Climsland Ecclesiastical Parish: -
    Folio: 561 Page: 12 Schedule: 42
    Address: Old Turnpike Gate House
    Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    MUTTON Robert Head M M 50 Shoe Maker Cornwall - Trewen
    MUTTON Mary Wife M F 42 Cornwall - Calstock
    MUTTON John Son S M 18 Copper Miner Cornwall - Stoke Climsland
    MUTTON Mary Dau S F 16 Dress Maker Cornwall - Stoke Climsland
    MUTTON Jane Ann Dau - F 11 Cornwall - Callington
    MUTTON Emma Dau - F 9 Cornwall - Callington
    MUTTON Eliza M Dau - F 6 Cornwall - Callington
    MUTTON James H Son - M 4 Cornwall - Callington
    freecen

cont....

cont...

Now just in case you think we have got our families mixed up, and this isn't the same Robert, when my William Henry MUTTON died (in Australia) his half brother - John Collings MUTTON - had just showed up the day before. Which is just as well for us, as he was able to give William's parents as Robert MUTTON, miner, and Sophia. Hardly a year later he married the widow and gave his own parents as Robert MUTTON, miner, and Deborah COLLINS.

However, none of this proves that your Thomas fits - as I do not have an actual baptism date or place for him at all - someone has told someone he belongs to this family! Though certainly looks like it with the names he has used in his children. I'll contact my (our?) cousin and see if there is any more info on Thomas. And I'll look in my notes to see if there is something I haven't put in my database yet.

Christine

blueandwhite4_ever

Default Re: Mutton family

Christine
    Thanks so much for the info, it really does help. I know I can't be certain yet until I get the proper documents but it really does look like my Thomas could very well be the son of Robert and Sarah. At least I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one! My grandfather's father's name was William Henry Mutton. Do you have the names of Robert's children and/ or any info on them. I'm curious as to where any of his children went to. It has been hard to find info on my grandfather's family as his father died when he was very young and he was raised by other family. Adding to my confusion is the fact that he didn't go by the name of Mutton (a fact I didn't realize until a few years ago. Anyway, thanks again for the info. I am sure that it will help to clarify things. ........Dawn

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast