Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hi Dawn,

I would say it looks like it with the naming of Thomas' children - and your grandfather was William Henry too!

Robert MUTTON and Sophia RICHARDS married 1816 Stoke Climsland.
    Children from 1816 - 1831
    Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Harriet, Thomas, William Henry, Arthur Robert, Richard Richards, Robert.
    Sophia died 1831 and Robert remarried Deborah COLLINGS 1832
    Children from abt 1833 to 1847
    John Collings, Mary Maria, James Henry (died infant), Jane Ann, Emma, Eliza Mary, James Henry. All the second family came to Australia and I have descendants for them. William Henry from the first family is my husbands third great grandfather, and I have extensive information on him. I believe some of his siblings also went to Jersey, Channel Islands, just recently persuing that thought - possibly Robert and Richard.

Let me know when you get your certificate, I do have some copies of parish registers somewhere from the cousin in South Australia. I am happy to share everything I have on these other lines. It is believed that Robert's parents are Robert MUTTON and Elizabeth BETTES.

I'll pop my email address in private messages to you and we can continue the exchange!

Christine

annewilson

Smile Thomas Mutton

I too have a Thomas Mutton in my family who married my 2xgreatgrandmother Ann Wise in Pelynt in 1814. they had both been married before but they had a son Charles born about 1815 who shows up in the 1851 census living in Devonport with his wife and children in Keates Street. The children in 1851 were Thomas born 1841, William 1842, John born 1844, Emma born 1847 and Eliza in 1850 with a baby James aged 2 months. Charles was married to Margaret ?? c1840. Anyone have this family as well

Hi Anne,

according to research - done by others and not confirmed by me at all - the Thomas MUTTON who married Ann WISE was the son of William MUTTON and Mary PARSON (dau of Robert PARSON and Elizabeth). William and Mary are my husband's 6th great grandparents, and married 1759.

Thomas is briefly mentioned as being born 1771 and first married Patience BOND then Ann WISE. I have no other details at all for him but the child born before him was 5th great grandfather Robert Mutton, baptized 13th April 1768 at St Clether (about 6 miles north of Altarnum)

Please let me know if you find that this Thomas does belong to this line.

Christine
    Australia

kesaunders79

Hi ChristineR & annewilson,
    Just discovered this forum and see you mention my 5 x Great Grandparents Thomas Mutton & Patience Bond!
    I wasn't aware that Thomas re-married. I know Patience died in 1810 and is buried in Pelynt.
    The other thing is I have Thomas Mutton down as being born 1771 Landulph, Cornwall son of Robert Mutton & Grace. Other siblings were William Mutton 1757, Mary 1761, Robert 1763, Samuel 1767 and Ann 1769.
    I descend down from Thomas & Patience son Richard Mutton 1802 who married Phillippa Bryant Aunger.

Let me know what you both think, I have some more info on this side of the family.

Cheers
    Kieran

Hello Kieran,

I do not have Robert Mutton and Grace in my tree at all - but have a William Mutton and Grace Burnard ( another of Thomas' siblings)

But, as I have said, I have not done any research myself. I have a few photocopied pages from a publication sent me by a cousin.

And on studying it a bit more I see I have a tree that shows 9 children to Thomas and Patience, and that he married Ann Wise 1814 and had one child (Charles) the next year.

How did you 'get' the parents you have for Thomas?

Christine

Hi again Kieran,

I've just been looking at the IGI to see if St Clether details are online - they are, but the family is down as MOTTON.

Batch number C023182
    27 JAN 1771 Saint Clether, Cornwall, England
    Parents: William MOTTON and Mary

Christine

kesaunders79

Hi Christine
    Now I'm really confused, have checked back my stuff and think Robert & Grace are the assumed parents as it is by one or two other people I have found on the net whilst surfing. I have Thomas Mutton 1771 as having 10 children, amongst them a Robert & Grace who I assumed were named after their Grandparents.
    How did you get the parents you had?

Cheers
    Kieran

Quote Originally Posted by JESSJAY
    HI My grandmother was a Mutton her name was Mary Ann born in Wales but her father was born in Cornwall I have been doing some research on Mutton family, it's all a bit confusing at the moment as I have many many Muttons and need a link to connect three different branches
    Hi jessjay

it might be an idea to start a new thread and post what you know about Mary Ann's parents and some one may be able to help.

regards
    Chrstine

I was given a copy of research done by someone else - or most likely the compiled results of work done by descendants from different lines. It was from a publication which appears to have been called "Inside Cornwall" Chapter 4, page 33. The Muttons - Richard Mutton's Paternal Forebears. (The surname is thought to have orginated in France as Mouton and Motton.)

I cannot confirm if it is right - and cannot presume that the the film of the actual registers have been searched. However, the IGI entries are extracted from the parish records and not patron submitted and thus appear to back up the baptism info. If the film was searched then one would expect any burials of infants would have been found - most of the children seem to have married at Altarnun, so there are two registers to be checked for burials. Mistakes do happen if someone has grabbed the only Thomas MUTTON baptised 1771 on the IGI and then other people copy it as gospel - this particular one is down as MOTTON. Hopefully you have found him on a census with his birthplace, and that would help. If Thomas has died before 1851 then you need to establish what happened to both Thomas' - one might have actually died as an infant or can be find with another spouse in the same timeframe.

Christine

JESSJAY

Default Grandmother Mutton

Hi Christine thanks for your reply, will look for Thomas Mutton 1771 maybe a lead to the three branches of Muttons I have a little info on
    I was aware that the name originated in France , and Muttons were involved with certain invasions.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast