Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Bertie Charles Burrows, b 20.10.1910 Croydon

Hi, I would appreciate some guidance from the forum on the birth of Bertie Charles Burrows, born 20.10.1910 in Croydon Surrey. His parents were Charles Burrows and Marion lilian Hart. As far as I know he married at least twice, the first time to Elsie Beatrice Scott in 1932 in Elham, Kent, and the second time to Jean Pycock in 1943 in Aldershot.

There were children In both marriages, one has died from each relationship, so therefore any other children could still be alive which is why I haven't mentioned their names.

I have done what I believe to be an extensive research of trying to find Bertie Charles Burrows as dead, but to no avail! I have contacted another researcher via ancestry who believed Bertie may have lived until he was 90 years old, and we assume in this country, as I have tried looking abroad as well!

Can anyone please help me with this quest?

Many thanks for any help I may receive.

Carol

Carol, what's the most recent year that you are sure that you have found him?
    Do you know whether he served in WW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Carol, what's the most recent year that you are sure that you have found him?
    Do you know whether he served in WW2?
    Hi Lesley,
    I have him as being married in 1943,there were as I said two children of the second marriage, one born in 1944 who was deceased back in 2009, her daughter is trying to look these records up and I am trying to help her. She does not have any other family that can help!

We need you help please. Many thanks, Carol

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There's a Bertie C Burrows (indexed as Bertie L on FMP) birthdate 20 November 1910, living with an Elsie B born 1909, Charles S born 1938, and a redacted person (the other child?) In Folkestone in the 1939 Register. Folkestone is in Elham registration district which is where the two children were born.

Looks as if Elsie's death is registered September quarter 1942, Chatham registration dustrict.
    From what I can see Jean died in 2003 in Chesterfield registration district.

No trace of Bertie's death easily found, though I haven't checked overseas records.

It's a laborious job because prior to 1996 you can only search on a surname, but have you checked the probate index to see if Bertie left a will? Note there are two date sections.
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

probate registry
    Grant and will - Cardiff
    Bertie Charles Burrows date of death 9 October 1996 probate 11 Feb 1997 probate number 9751801245

I can't see a death reg for him in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

It might be worth checking registered deaths in Scotland...

Surely they must have had a death certificate to get probate?

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    probate registry
    Grant and will - Cardiff
    Bertie Charles Burrows date of death 9 October 1996 probate 11 Feb 1997 probate number 9751801245

I can't see a death reg for him in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
    Christina
    Hi Christina,

Have looked on ancestry for a will not able to find it? Can you tell me how I go about looking for a copy on line? Does it give a date of birth of any recorded family members?
    Many thanks,
    Carol

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Will is very unlikely to be on line. You will need to apply to the Probate Registry for a copy

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

The above link should take you to the appropriate search page - find your man (you may need to look at several pages first) and follow any instructions given for ordering a copy. I doubt if births of date of any family members mentioned, will be given

Emeltee

He's on page 12 and lucky you, the cost of downloading it has gone DOWN from 10 pounds to 1 pound 50.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    probate registry
    Grant and will - Cardiff

Christina
    Hi Christina,
    I have ordered a copy of the will, and hope this is my Bertie Charles Burrows. Once received I hope to love a 20 year mystery!
    Many thanks for your help.
    Regards,
    Carol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast