Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Her birth?

JONES, ELIZABETH mmn SHERRATT
    GRO Reference: 1838 J Quarter in STEPNEY Volume 02 Page 370
    oh that's interesting! So she may have been Harriett's from a previous marriage, I haven't traced Harriett and George's previous spouses yet so don't know when they died.

Starting to feel at home

I’m not so sure about William Skinner having died, especially as Elizabeth describes herself as a spinster when she marries for the 2nd time.

The marriage to William Skinner gives his occupation as Basket Maker, and in 1861 there is a man with the same name & occupation aged 24 born Plymouth living at 32 Crispin Street, Spitalfields with a 17 year old ‘wife’ named Maria.

The marriage gives Williams father as John, also a basket maker, and in 1841 at 24 Breton Side? Plymouth there is a John Skinner aged 30 Journeyman Basketmaker, with wife Ann and children including William, aged 4. By 1851 this family is in Shadwell (Stepney RD), transcribed on Ancestry as Shumer - HO107, Piece 1550, Folio 150, Page 29.

So it would seem likely that William & Elizabeth separated shortly after marriage.
    Oh right, I didn't think divorces really happened back then, oh did people literally just 'separate and remarry.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.s2012 View Post
    Oh right, I didn't think divorces really happened back then, oh did people literally just 'separate and remarry.
    Yes, but the second marriage would have been bigamous. It happened twice in my family and in both cases the bigamous couple took off abroad - one couple to Canada and the other to America. This didn't always happen, but it's worth considering.

Starting to feel at home

Yes, but the second marriage would have been bigamous. It happened twice in my family and in both cases the bigamous couple took off abroad - one couple to Canada and the other to America. This didn't always happen, but it's worth considering.
    oh wow, ok, that could explain why they seem to vanish! Interesting.

Starting to feel at home

tbh this whole family seems to be a bit of a mystery, haha. Going to take me a while to unravel!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123