Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deserter WW1

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Deserter WW1

My grandfather, Harry Ashberry Aiken, served in the 1/9 London Regiment(Queen Victoria Rifles)and the Machine Gun Corps until he deserted in May 1917. I cannot find a listing for him in the London Police Gazette "Deserters and Absentees from His Majesty's Service". He originated from Belfast. Would he have been listed in another Gazette or newspaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the link.
    I see from his UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 record that Harry was still declared as a deserter on 12 July 1922 but like you I can't see any reference to him in the UK, Military Deserters list 1812-1927 which was published in the UK Police Gazette between 1812 and 1927.
    For anyone else helping in the search Harry Aiken has 3 regimental numbers - London Regiment 2195, Machine Gun Corps 95362, Tank Corps 95361
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't know if the same applies to FMP, but on Ancestry the Police Gazette coverage skips from 1902 to 1921

A fountain of knowledge

I gather you would have this already but posting it just in case you dont. I dont know how this really works but if one deserted would he still be entitled to medals??

Medal card of Aiken, Harry Ashberry [Ashbery]

1/9th London Regiment Reg. no 2195 Rank Private
    Machine Gun Corps Reg. no 95362 Rank Private
    Tank Corps Reg. no 95361 Rank Private
    1914-1920

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D1647419

Edited.. Sorry Christina i just repeated what you posted.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks everyone, but I do already have this info! Indeed, his medals were returned due to his desertion. I just find it odd that I can't find him listed in the Police Gazette and nor can I find details of a Court Martial. I would like to find out where he was when he deserted... He seems to have disappeared into thin air!

How about this in the 1930 US census?
    West 71 St. Manhattan, New York - Appears to be a boarding hose as he is isted as a 'Roomer'
    Ashberry Aiken, Single
    Age 45 Birth c1885
    Birthplace - Ireland
    Parents born Ireland
    Naturalized
    Occupation - Writer
    Immigrated 1919

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks, Christina. I am aware of an Ashberry Aiken in New York in 1930, but don't know if it is Harry. I've been trying to find out specifically what happened when he deserted in 1917, and thought Forces War Records and then this forum might have some answers! Thank you for all your help.

There is another possibility. Quite a few men were initially listed as deserters, but then were found to be casualties or even POWs. Check the CWGC and POW sites, just in case.

Famous for offering help & advice

Possibly a red herring, but there is a marriage licence reference in Manhattan in 1928:

Henry A Aiken & Irene L Dronin (possibly Drouin), Licence No. 12532, 31 May 1928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast