Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deserter WW1

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Possibly a red herring, but there is a marriage licence reference in Manhattan in 1928:

Henry A Aiken & Irene L Dronin (possibly Drouin), Licence No. 12532, 31 May 1928
    Both Irene L Dronin and an Irene Drouin are in the 1930 census, both single.
    Irene L is at West 5 St Manhattan.
    There appear to be many Henry Aikens born in the US at various times.
    If Harry changed his name to something entirely different he may be impossible to find.
    Chrstina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Possibly a red herring, but there is a marriage licence reference in Manhattan in 1928:

Henry A Aiken & Irene L Dronin (possibly Drouin), Licence No. 12532, 31 May 1928
    Hi Jomot1 - this may not be a red herring at all! Harry deserted my grandmother and mother after he deserted the army, and I do believe he went to New York! I believe I have traced him to California in later years. Unfortunately I am not a member of Ancestry and cannot see the marriage details you mention. Is there any more info you can give me about it, or is there somewhere else I could find them? I have checked Familysearch without success. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

Unfortunately the only information online is the index.

According to this article, there is a lot of information on these licences (there is a click-through were you can see some examples): https://www.reclaimtherecords.org/records-request/1/

From what I an make out they are held at the NYC Municipal Archives, 31 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007, but you need to be sure that you ask for the licence not the certificate. More info here:
    https://adellefrank.com/blog/how-fin...ween-1908-1929

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12