Thread: search tip

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default search tip

For sometime now I have been researching population movements around Llanllyfni parish in Caernarvonshire by using census data and generally relying on FMP, and I thought that I had found a neat way to work rough estimate population numbers for the whole county. However, recently I have realised that there is a big fly in the ointment, and it has the potential to impact how people search for their ancestors.
    FMP's search form has a number of boxes. Fairly high up on the form is one termed "Location in XYZ" and at the bottom of the form is a box for the "County". Each of them will autofill the county. So you would imagine that you would get the same number of records been offered up irrespective of where you entered the county name in your search. But that is not a given:

“Location in 1841” : Caernarvonshire 81, 257 Anglesey 50,836
    “County in 1841” : Caernarvonshire 78,371 Anglesey 50,831

“Location in 1911” : Caernarvonshire 154,819 Anglesey 50,911
    “County in 1911” : Caernarvonshire 127,454 Anglesey 50,879

I haven't checked anymore than the two counties shown, but difference in Caernarvonshire is huge. I have talked to FMP's help desk about this without success - they thought it might be a transcription issue.....
    So my advice is to try both boxes individually if you are struggling to find someone.

Thank you, Megan.

It's a useful tip for those who use FMP.
    Alma

Search using prepopulated "Location in 1911" only field as search key. eg Caernarvonshire. Click on results. Then click on "County" to put results in alphabetical County order. Will reveal county/ies other than prepopulated County.

Repeat using prepopulated "County" only field as search key. Click on results. Then click on "County" to put results in County order. Will reveal only prepopulated County.

I checked Nottinghamshire and the "location in 1911" also delivered Derbyshire and Lincolnshire
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

I may not have understood exactly what you're trying to achieve but it sounds as if it may be a job for the printed census reports which were laid before parliament and then published. County record offices, main reference libraries and university libraries are good places to look for them.

For an overview, see https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/2011ce...usdata18011991

In particular, try histpop.org. It's on a go-slow at the moment (perhaps weekend maintenance) so I can't offer any examples from the site.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I may not have understood exactly what you're trying to achieve but it sounds as if it may be a job for the printed census reports which were laid before parliament and then published. County record offices, main reference libraries and university libraries are good places to look for them.

For an overview, see https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/2011ce...usdata18011991

In particular, try histpop.org. It's on a go-slow at the moment (perhaps weekend maintenance) so I can't offer any examples from the site.
    Thanks for those suggestions.