Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margaret Bates

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Margaret Bates

Hello,
    Researching my great grandmother Margaret Ann Robert Bates.
    Bates is her married name. Margaret was born abt 1868 on Guernsey Island. She married a Thomas Henry Bates from Kentish Town, who was a cook on the ship Jersey City. The 1901 census shows them living in the Marylebone area of London at 47 Loveridge Road. Can't seem to track Margaret after this. Any suggestions?

Famous for offering help & advice

1903 same address shown as daughter Lucy A Bates 1897 starts school. Also baptism same year,same address for

Jessie Florence Bates
    Baptism
    Baptism Date: 29 Oct 1903
    St Mark, Marylebone Road, Westminster, England
    Father: Thomas Bates
    Mother: Maryaret Bates

Did they emigrate to Canada.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi There;
    Thomas and Margaret had three daughter, Lucy Ann born 1897, Bertha Elizabeth born abt 1901 and Jessie who you found. Bertha is my grandmother and Margaret would be my great grandmother.
    Lucy Ann and Bertha were sent to Canada in 1911 as part of the British Home Child Program. Jessie came to Canada in 1922 when she was 18 with the help of the Salvation Army. We have obtained the records for Lucy and Bertha from the Barnado organization. The girls make mention that their mother was living at 23 paris st, Guernsey in 1911. The girls give different names for their father.
    Thomas Henry (Hy)Bate or Bates was a seaman (cook) on the ship Jersey City which sailed out of Bristol.
    It is has come to light that he abandoned his family and spent a month in prison around 1905. Not sure where to look for him. Margaret may have been living with her brother William in Guernsey in 1911, but does not show up on the census. Jessie states her mothers name is Margaret Bates Brown, which makes me wonder if she remarried. There is a Margaret Brown in the 1911 Channel Census, but not sure how to determine if this is the same person.

Also found Berthas birth and can see the girls on the passenger list. I haven’t found Lucy Ann’s birth reg,do you have the details for this and Margaret & Thomas marraige?

I have seen the 1911 census with Margaret Brown & ‘husband’ Samuel. They state married 2 yrs. wonder if there’s a marraige for these 2?

This may be information that you already have, but Thomas Henry's address was given as Garrick St, South Shields when he was charged with running away. There is an article in the Hampstead & Highgate Express 13 August 1904.

Ancestry has a record for him showing him in the County Gaol, Gloucester. Committed 8 Aug 1904 at Hampstead. Transferred to Gloucester from Pentonville. Released 7 Sep 1904 aged 39. Black hair, 5ft 1in.

There is also a record of the girls in the workhouse, with the note about Lucy & Bertha being sent to Barnardo's. Margaret's address was c/o Mrs Burford, 37 High St, Hampstead.

Record with links removed here (just copy it into your browser):
    ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1557/32967_189927-00604?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=329 67_189930-00475

ADDED:
    And another record here for Bertha & Jessie:
    ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1557/32967_189927-00604?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=314 36_189785-00133

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your assistance with my search. The information on Thomas and his goal record are relatively new to me. I found out this information about a month ago. To answer your question about Lucy Ann there is reference to her being born in Guernsey around 1897. I was searching ancestry this evening for a marriage record for Thomas and Margaret, but did not find one.
    The interesting piece of information I stumbled upon is possibly a brother to the girls, William Thomas Bates, baptized in 1899, St. James West, Hampstead, Middlesex.
    Our family was not aware of any other children.Our knowledge of this family lineage is very sparse as we learned about it after my Nan(Bertha)passed away.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Clues as to what happened to Margaret might lie in the workhouse records if they can be found.

The definitive starting point for such records is Peter Highinbotham's website: https://www.workhouses.org.uk

That suggests that the Hampstead workhouse records are in one of two places or may have been split up, assuming that they still exist.
    London Metropolitan Archives - for the Creed Registers, the Guardian Minute Books and the Admission & Discharge books
    Ancestry- have two data sets - the London workhouse admission and discharge records, and Poor law and board of guardian books

Ive just tried those 'links' I previously provided and they arent working now for some reason, so here's how to find them:

Record Set: London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1930 > Camden > Hampstead > Register of Children > Register of Children in the Workhouse and Other Institutions and Boarded Out, 1892-1905 > image 27 & 28 of 332

Record Set: London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1930 > Camden > Hampstead > Religious Creed > Creed Register For the Workhouse, 1904-1911 > image 21& 22 of 404.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your assistance. I was able to look at the information and add it to my tree. Interesting that the documents also reference Margaret being back in Guernsey. The girls records from Barnado also reference Margaret as being back in Guernsey. The address if High Street in Hampstead, I am assuming could be a workhouse?

No, I dont think the Hampstead address was a workhouse.

A family named Burford was living at Norway House, 35 High Street, Hampstead from at least 1881.

'Mrs Burford' was Elizabeth Burford born St Neots, Huntingdonshire c1824. Her death was announced in the Hampstead & Highgate Express 04 November 1905. I wonder if Margaret was working for her, perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast