Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harpin...

Starting to feel at home

so should i record the name as Arpin or Harpin...?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

IN ANSWER TO POST #10.

The IGI (international Genealogical Index)doesn't really exist any more, but there are links to IGI-submitted entries. Do you mean you searched familysearch.org?

If so, in which collection did you search, and exactly what information did you enter?

On the familysearch home page, I clicked on 'search', and then selected 'records' from the drop-down menu.
    Scrolled down to the world map, and clicked on the UK, and then selected 'England' from the list of countries.
    Entered Joan Arpin (not Jane Harpin), 1717-1717, and the first result is the one in Shropshire. All the other results seem to be for John Arpins.

A ;ittle more digging has found where you're likely to have found the Pontesbury bit from.
    The PRS of both Pontesbury and Westbury are on the same film, but they are not the same place, and unless the entry in the PR says Joan is 'of Pontesbury' you have to assume that she lived in Westbury at the time of her baptism.

From what I can see the film (#166168} is available to view at the Society of Genealogists in London. Which is slightly nearer than Shropshire Record Office/Archives.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhopper View Post
    so should i record the name as Arpin or Harpin...?
    You can record a person under whatever name you want.
    What you must do, however, is record what is written in a record, when you record that information against their name. There are no exceptions allowed to this rule.
    In this case, you also need to record that it is a transcribed record, found on familysearch.org from the PRs of Westbury, Shropshire. Filmed by the LDS, on film #166168.

If you see an entry in an actual PR then where possible you should enter page number, entry number, plus everything written. Again, transcribe what is written. In my very early days, I searched one particular small village's PRs, found seven entries for my family, and managed to make five transcription errors. (Found when I later went through my early work to double-check I had my facts correct. )

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    IN ANSWER TO POST #10.

The IGI (international Genealogical Index)doesn't really exist any more, but there are links to IGI-submitted entries. Do you mean you searched familysearch.org?

If so, in which collection did you search, and exactly what information did you enter?

On the familysearch home page, I clicked on 'search', and then selected 'records' from the drop-down menu.
    Scrolled down to the world map, and clicked on the UK, and then selected 'England' from the list of countries.
    Entered Joan Arpin (not Jane Harpin), 1717-1717, and the first result is the one in Shropshire. All the other results seem to be for John Arpins.

A ;ittle more digging has found where you're likely to have found the Pontesbury bit from.
    The PRS of both Pontesbury and Westbury are on the same film, but they are not the same place, and unless the entry in the PR says Joan is 'of Pontesbury' you have to assume that she lived in Westbury at the time of her baptism.

From what I can see the film (#166168} is available to view at the Society of Genealogists in London. Which is slightly nearer than Shropshire Record Office/Archives.

Pam
    Stupid me forgot that a lot of Shropshire stuff is available on Findmypast, including the baptism of 'Joanna filia Jonathannis: Arpin et Sara uxoris'. (Joanna, daughter of Jonathan Arpin and Sara his wife.)

Pam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12