Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

I just received the birth certificates for Arthur Spillane Lazenby and Lilian Florence Lazenby. More questions than answers are revealed.

Arthur was born February 17th 1862 at 30 Greek Street. No father is indicated. Mother: Louisa Lazenby, whose domicile is different to the place of birth and looks like 3 Green Walk, Open Ground Street [?], Blackfriars.

Lilian was born 8th September 1890 at 12 Doddington Grove. The father is Edward Lazenby, described as a "journeyman marble carver", while the mother is "Louisa Emma Lazenby, formerly Lazenby"

Louisa Emma Lazenby must be William Lazenby's daughter who was born in 1866. Who Edward Lazenby is I have no idea. I have her married in 1896 to John Edward Fenton, having a son named Albert Edward in 1898, and dying in Ipswich in 1902. I have to imagine she married Edward Lazenby [a cousin?] c. 1899 who died sometime between then and 1898.

These are the bare facts. I need to check further to untangle this mess.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Greek Street is in Soho on the north side of the Thames. Blackfriars is bridge over the Thames, and these days isn't used to describe a district. However, Green Walk is on the south side not far from the bridge, and the district that is known as Southwark.

Lilian Florence was the granddaughter of the mysterious Louisa M, as Louisa Emma was her daughter, and born in 1866.

You may recall in post #26 in which Almach brought up an 1871 census - 1871 RG10; Piece: 592; Folio: 32; Page: 58. St Saviour Southwark - to show the Charles Lazenby found in the 1911 Census with Louisa M's son Arthur. In that same 1871 Census there is an Edward Lazenby who would be Charles's brother.

I don't think that Edward is the father of Lilian because he was married to someone else.

I know Greek Street quite well. "Private Eye" is published there, a periodical I've followed since its inception in 1960 even though I've since moved to the US.

An Edward Lazenby is certainly held accountable as the father of Lilian Florence Lazenby. Whether it's the 18-year-old Edward Lazenby to be found as a "grocer's porter" in the 1871 census I am unable to say. And I wasn't able to find a "Journeyman marble carver" in the 1901 census of that name -- so far.

This family is highly irregular.

Arthur was born February 17th 1862 at 30 Greek Street. No father is indicated. Mother: Louisa Lazenby, whose domicile is different to the place of birth and looks like 3 Green Walk
    In 1861, Louisa is living 30, Greek St. Ancestry has transcribed her as "Louisa Larpenbey 21"

RG 9; Piece: 174; Folio: 9; Page: 17
    Alma

Great find, Almach! But odd Louisa gave birth where she was a lodger, but indicates on the birth certificate her actual domicile was elsewhere. This family will be the death of me!

Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks for the updates everyone and well done Alma, locating Louisa in 61 census. My guess is that she had been working in the Soho area but may have returned to Southwark after Arthur's birth to be with or near family.

Re Louisa Emma.I do not think she married Lilian's father. She was shown as single in 91 census. The father's details may be largely fictional but there is often a grain of truth. He may have been a marble carver.
    Another poss red herring now - There was a sculptor Alfred Bradford at 32 Doddington Grove in 1890 (from the sculpture.gla.ac.uk website)He employed several carvers (including his 17 year old son Edwin - tho I think Edwin would be too young to be a qualified journeyman carver)But there may have been another Edward working there.Just a thought!

Related to this topic, is there any way to check the census by street rather than by name of resident? On the birth certificate of Arthur Spillane Lazenby, the address of the 'informant' appears to be "Green Walk, Upper Ground Street, Blackfriars Road." Since Arthur's mum gave birth at an address on Greek Street, Soho, it might be useful to know who lived on Green Walk -- whether a family named Hall or Lazenby can be shown to live there in 1861.

The biggest problem is Green Walk itself. According to one site [https://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/St...t_Names.htm#G] Green Walk is now called Holland Street and is at Christchurch, Southwark. Another site [ https://www.british-history.ac.uk/su...l22/pp115-121] states that it's now called Burrell Street.

Both streets seem to be close to each other and may be in the same registration district, but which was Green Walk in 1861? it would nice to be able to see the names of those living there at the time.

Green Walk starts here in 1861 RG 9; Piece: 313; Folio: 4; Page: 1
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Green Walk starts here in 1861 RG 9; Piece: 313; Folio: 4; Page: 1
    Bless you Almach! I'll get stuck in in the morning and report back.

I went through all the 1861 census paged for Green Walk but alas there are no families that seem to match. No lazenbys at all, and only one Hall -- a servant. There is a bookseller -- odd for an area like this -- but there seems no obvious connection.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast