Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I noted on Ancestry.Co one family tree that has the father of Benjamin plus others as Harris Bloksberg 1883-1960. Whether or not this is accurate requires confirmation but there are 2 WW2 Alien Internment records for a Harris Bloksberg b 1883 Austrian Occupation Baker living at 69 Reighton Road E5 exempt from internment 18.12.1939 Has been in country since 1891. All ties British.Children British.
    At the same address Sarah Bloksberg b 14.3.1882 Austrian. Has been in UK 38 Years. Married.All ties and children British.

Similarly, there is another Ancestry.Co family tree which has a marriage of Benjamin to a Bailey but no record to confirm accuracy.

If you look on JewishGen under the surname Bloksberg/Bloxberg you will the Death of Minnie Bloxberg age 46 died 1929 Buried Edmonton Jewish Cemetery with the note mourned by Harris Bloxberg.
    See also Harris BLOCKSBERG age 76 died 1960 Edmonton Jewish Cemetery.

It is possible that some of the family may have changed their surname which is why it is difficult to trace them further.

Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

See also at Edmonton Jewish Cemetery Burial Isaac Bloxberg 8 May 1922 age 10 months; David Blocksberg 24 August 1937 age 4 mths- this appears to be the child of Isaac and his wife Rosenberg maiden name- see GRO Birth Index David Bloksberg mother's maiden name Rosenberg Essex SW 4a 430 March qtr 1937

Phillip

Hetty Bloxburg - Benjamin's wife is on the 1939 register at 105 Church Rd Burgess hill Sussex. Her birth date is 28 March 1914. In the same household are Thomas Stringer born 12 Dec 1861 and Sarah J? Stringer 28 April? 1863. There is one blacked out entry. There is no Benjamin with them. We know they are living together in 1946/47 so where is Benjamin in 1939?
    Harris Bloxberg is living at Crabtree Cottage, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire and is recorded as married with a birthdate of 7 October 1883. Occupation bread baker. His is the only name showing for that dwelling but there are 8 blacked out records following his name.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The 1939 Register was recorded 29 Sept 1939 and conscription for military service WW2 for 18-41 year olds began on 3 Sept 1939. It is possible Benjamin was called up or volunteered and wouldn't appear in the Register.It may be worth looking at WW2 service records using a variety of spellings for his last name.
    Phillip

Default Benjamin "Benny" Bloxberg

My sources say he did marry a Hetty Rabinowitz .....

Default From COLORADO USA

I found out a while back via DNA tests on 23andMe & Ancestry that I have 50% Ashkenazi DNA. Being adopted I never knew who my dad was but other DNA links suggest he was a man named BENJAMIN BLOXBERG who lived some of his life in east London, England. I have located his birth and marriage information in the UK records but no death record. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Derek

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a private family tree on Ancestry which has "Benjamin "Benny" Bloksberg / Bloxberg" in it. If you can access Ancestry you could try contacting them.

He appears in the 1947 Electoral Register living in Stepney (East End of London). That is the last record I can find. Could he have emigrated?

I thought that you might be interested in the 1921 Census: 90, Exmouth Street, Stepney, Mile End Old Town:

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Sex Birth year Age in years Birth place Occupation Employer
    Harris Bloxberg Head Male 1889 31 Lemberg (Lviv), Ukraine Baker W Stwarts, Baker Master
    Minnie Bloxberg Wife Female 1881 40 - Housewife Home Duties
    Annie Bloxberg Daughter Female 1905 16 London, London, England Tailoress Mr Rapkin, Tailor
    Reuben Bloxberg Son Male 1906 14 London, London, England - -
    Sam Bloxberg Son Male 1908 12 London, London, England - -
    Esther Bloxberg Daughter Female 1911 10 London, London, England - -
    Isaac Bloxberg Son Male 1914 7 London, London, England - -
    Morris Bloxberg Son Male 1914 7 London, London, England - -
    Benjamin Bloxberg Son Male 1917 4 London, London, England - -
    Sadie Bloxberg Daughter Female 1920 1 London, London, England - -

So the family originates from Ukraine.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Derek,

We do not allow more than one thread regarding the same query because it causes confusion and duplicated research, so I have merged your new 'From Colorado' thread with your original one regarding the Bloxberg family.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Derek
    I see that you have drafted short link between your Benjamin Bloxberg aka Bloksberg and Gwyneth May Bailey 1915-1993 with the note they were not married.

You also refer to the marriage of Benjamin to Hettie Rabinovitch March qtr 1938 Stepney 1c 378. If you check the GRO Index record you will see that Benjamin Bloxberg has an addition on the surname which includes Bloksberg similarly Hettie is Hetty Rabin.

If you then look further at the GRO Birth Index you will see Birth Melvin D Bloxberg June qtr 1947 Hackney 5c 1138 with the mother's maiden name RABIN. There are no further birth entries using Bloxberg/Rabin.

The above data suggests that Benjamin and Hettie had a son and she dropped the spelling of her full name which was a common practice to simplify the spelling/pronunciation of immigrant family names- my own lines did the same.

In addition, I noted on the Jewish Chronicle that at least 1 family of Bloxberg namely Emmanuel aka Manny Bloxberg died 1948 changed the surname to Barclay.

My strong advice is to consider possible name changes and emigration but also to get a copy of the Birth Certificate of Melyvn which might give you data on what occupation Benjamin had.

Further to my last post- I note on some Ancestry Public and private family trees that Melvyn D Bloxberg aka Bloksberg died in London 29 January 2006. I have not verified the accuracy of the data but it suggests that there are family lines who may help shed more light on the research.

Similary, the family trees not the emigration of several members of the Harris Bloxberg line to California and Tel Aviv.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12