Default Tailors by profession Ireland 1830-1870

Hello,
    I’m trying to find out more info on my x3 GGF Patrick Harkins b circa 1800 in Ireland , most probably Donegal. He had died by the time his son , also Patrick , married in Rutherglen in 1859. He is listed as a tailor and his wife was Grace McLaughlan - also deceased by 1859.
    Many thanks, I’m very new to family research.
    Doreen Neilson

Knowledgeable and helpful

Harkin(s) is a common surname in Cos. Donegal, Derry & Tyrone and many people from that area went to work in Scotland in the 1800s. In fact they still do. McLaughlin (and variant spellings) is also a common surname in Donegal, especially around the Inishowen peninsula. So it wouldn’t be surprising if that's where the family originate.

Statutory death registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864. Both Patrick & Grace died before that so you won’t find death certificates for them. The RC church (I assume they were RC) didn't generally keep burial records either so that won’t help.

If Patrick was born c 1800 then he probably married between 1820 and 1830. Few, if any, RC parishes in Donegal have records for that period, so your chances of tracing the family that way are slim. I checked the on-line RC marriage records on Ancestry but did not find any marriage for them.

One approach might be to check Scottish Poor Law records. If your ancestors claimed under the Poor Law in Scotland (as many many Irish did), then the Poor Law file usually records their parish of origin in Ireland as well as details of next of kin there. Poor Law records for the Glasgow area are kept in the Mitchell Library. They will normally do a look up for a small fee. You might want to contact them:

https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/librar...s/default.aspx
    ELWYN