A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs down Lost: HAYWARD Doris?

I can only find one reference to her in 1911 census at 1 Mount Pleasant, Shifnal, Shropshire. (RG14PN16009 RG78PN987 RD347 SD2 ED7 SN27)
    where she is entered as DORIE age 3 b. Bridgnorth. Parents are John and Annie, sister Florence. FMP have incorrectly transcibed surname as Haywood.

I have found birth of Florence HAYWARD with mmn Boraston but I can find nothing more for Dorie/Doris.

Any and all help gratefully received.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

In 1911 census Florence is one year old, Dorie is 3.

Marriage of John Hayward and Annie Boraston registered March quarter 1909, Shifnal registration district.
    Birth of younger daughter, Florence Edith, registered December quarter 1909, Shifnal registration district.

Therefore, by a process of elimination, Dorie must have been born before John and Annie married.

Next question:
    Was John a widower when he married Annie, and Dorie is a daughter by his first wife?
    Or is Dorie an illegitimate daughter of Annie?

Or she is possibly an adopted daughter, illegitimate child of a sibling of either John or Annie?

The 1911 census does say that there are two children born from the marriage, and that both are still alive. Though we all know that (a) people stretched the truth a little and/or (b) didn't always understand the question.

I notice that Dorie was said to have been born in Bridgnorth.
    John and Annie married, and Florence was born in Shifnal.

Not convinced that the name is Dorie.

I know there is at least one case where a child had been registered as one sex, but grew up as the other, but I can't remember any more details.
    There is a Percy Francis Boraston birth registration, Bridgnorth registration district December quarter 1906, no mother's maiden name. Not immediately findable on 1911 census. No death registration found 1905 to 1911 unless surname misspelt.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Another possibility could be this birth:

BENTLEY, DORIS MAY mmn BORASTON
    GRO Reference: 1907 S Quarter in BRIDGNORTH Volume 06A Page 567

I cant see any other Bentley/Boraston births, nor a marriage.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    . . .
    Marriage of John Hayward and Annie Boraston registered March quarter 1909, Shifnal registration district.
    . . .

Next question:
    Was John a widower when he married Annie, . . .
    They married 17 Feb at Shifnal Register Office, Bachelor and Spinster. (from cert.)

. . .
    Therefore, by a process of elimination, Dorie must have been born before John and Annie married.
    Why didn't I see that?

Thanks for all the comments, I'll have a fossick around an see what falls out.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

PS: Mods, techies, the Thanks button seems to have disappeared from the site on my tablet.

Unfortunately the 'thanks' button was another casualty in the recent upgrade.
    Admin are aware of it, and will get a gentle nudge in about a month's time. I've really needed it several times in the last week, so miss it, too. Strange how something so (on the face of it) insignificant can have such a big meaning.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs up UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Another possibility could be this birth:

BENTLEY, DORIS MAY mmn BORASTON
    GRO Reference: 1907 S Quarter in BRIDGNORTH Volume 06A Page 567

I cant see any other Bentley/Boraston births, nor a marriage.
    Just taken advantage of the new GRO service and got this certificate for £2.50.

It gives the mother's name as Annie Bentley formerly Boraston and place of birth in Worfield.

So it is definitely her, the 1921 census has her as Doris May Hayward born Worfield

I'll have to search harder for a marriage, although a porky may be in play. ☺😕

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Just taken advantage of the new GRO service and got this certificate for £2.50.

It gives the mother's name as Annie Bentley formerly Boraston and place of birth in Worfield.

So it is definitely her, the 1921 census has her as Doris May Hayward born Worfield

I'll have to search harder for a marriage, although a porky may be in play. ☺��
    More importantly, does the birth certificate give a father's name and occupation for him?
    Don't know if reading the birth certificate section will help.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...-and-convicts/

A fountain of knowledge

More importantly, does the birth certificate give a father's name and occupation for him?
    . . .
    Thomas Bentley, Agricultural Labourer, Annie was informant on 16th September. DoB 10th August.