bsage760

Smile Albert Henry Gerrish

Seeking information a fourth cousin Albert Henry Gerrish. He was born in April 1865 in Bristol but may have died in Rhymeny Wales in 1920. It is believed that he served in World War I, however the last listing our family has is a 1911 census. Any information will be gratefully received. Thank you.

A fountain of knowledge

You have names of parents and siblings? It might help with searching for him.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by bsage760 View Post
    Seeking information a fourth cousin Albert Henry Gerrish. He was born in April 1865 in Bristol but may have died in Rhymeny Wales in 1920. It is believed that he served in World War I, however the last listing our family has is a 1911 census. Any information will be gratefully received. Thank you.
    Anyone born in 1865 is unlikely to have served in WW1 unless perhaps he was already an active soldier, but I see that in 1911 Albert was a Haulier in a Colliery.

Someone by that name did serve, but he was born c1893 at Shepton Mallet.

He could have served earlier. Maybe in Africa or India?

bsage760

Good idea, however his other cousin and I find only a few vague references to an Albert Henry Gerrish as having served in World War I. During the earlier wars he is listed in census records in Somerset.
    His trail generally ends in 1911 with only unverified references at a later date. Thank you for your help. I am working with a distant cousin who lives in Wales.

bsage760

Thank you, the entry you found is the last trace we have of Albert Henry Gerrish. I agree that the World War I reference is unlikely but you never know. The 1893 date is interesting however Albert's father was born in 1848 and his mother in 1866. She was a Sage and it is she who is related to my husband Brian Sage.

Did you notice the Albert HE Gerrish whose death was registered in Bristol in 1914 according to FreeBMD?

A fountain of knowledge

May or may not help.

Western Gazette (Yeovil, England),
    Friday, May 10, 1946
    GERRISH - April 28th, at Bath Royal United Hospital, Albert Henry Gerrish, of "Myrtles", Shepton Mallet, aged 53.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by bsage760 View Post
    Thank you, the entry you found is the last trace we have of Albert Henry Gerrish. I agree that the World War I reference is unlikely but you never know. The 1893 date is interesting however Albert's father was born in 1848 and his mother in 1866. She was a Sage and it is she who is related to my husband Brian Sage.
    It was Albert's wife Alice whose maiden surname was SAGE and she was born in 1869.

SAGE, ALICE
    Mother's maiden surname: GALLOP
    GRO Reference: 1869 S Quarter in CLUTTON Volume 05C Page 619

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Did you notice the Albert HE Gerrish whose death was registered in Bristol in 1914 according to FreeBMD?
    He was age 1, birth registered March 1/4 1913 Bristol reg dist.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs