Post Tracking witnesses to marriages

I have quite a few occurrences where there are witnesses names on a marriage certificate or a newspaper article with an ancestors name mentioned along with others. I like to keep track of these (but struggle) especially if there is a possibility they are related but as yet unknown to me.

Is it just me who likes to keep track of this kind of information? If others do also track this how do you organise it so you can easily check these and know what document it relates to? Do you keep track of it or do you try and research those names at the point you come across them?

I use Family Tree Maker, and record the names of the Minister and witnesses in the section for info about the marriage. I only check witnesses with surnames I recognise.

Way back in the mists of time, there was a UK Marriage Witness Index available online. I see that the 2 files I downloaded are dated 1994, so there's more than a good chance that it no longer exists. I found it via the old newsgroup soc.genealogy.britain.

PS That nice Mr Google led me right to it! It's HERE.

Many thanks for the reply Lesley. I do use Family Tree Maker but am trying o come up with something I can search each time I confirm someone as being part of the family. I keep forgetting what names have been mentioned on Newspaper notices/articles and witnesses on marriages. starting to add them to a spreadsheet but was wondering if there might be an easier way or if there was software out there which could do it.