Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Samuel Edwards brickwall

Hello everybody. Let's hope this forum can break down my brickwall....

I would appreciate help on finding
    birth record of Samuel Edwards (born in England september 1829)
    and
    marriage record of his parents William H Edwards, born in England, and Susan Farr, born in England.

(Info comes from Samuel's death info (USA). Hence Susan Farr (or Furr?...) might not be Samuel's mother if William remarried...?)

Samuel was a Methodist in Canada (I don't know when he left England, but before 1852).
    I don't know whether he was baptized Methodist soon after birth in England or later in life.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello, I have found this family in Cambridge, St Andrew the less in 1841 on FS. piece 85, f 4 page2
    William Edwards 40 and Susannah Edwards 35 . Children include 11 year old Samuel plus Hephzibah, Martha, Margaret , K?, and Esther age 0.
    Looking at GRO birth registers for 1841 there is an Esther Edwards born Cambridge , mother's maiden name Farr.
    Could be worth investigating further.

I can't see a marriage for a William Edwards and Susan Farr.
    There is a Susan Farr marrying a Peter Eversden in Caxton in 1819 and a Susan Eversden marrying a William Edwards in Cambridge St Clements in 1822 which could be possible if this was a second marriage for Susan.
    And FS have a burial in 1820 in Caxton of a Peter Eversden b 1798.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Very good work you did there, Grisel!
    Do I have free online access to the mother's maiden name Farr in your first post? The Free*BMD site shows for 'original view' of the document only a index list, no mother names...

This was on the official goverment GRO site.
    www.gro.gov.uk
    If you register you can view the index (with mother's maiden name) for free. If you wish you can then pay to be sent a pdf of the full certificate.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hello, I have found this family in Cambridge, St Andrew the less in 1841 on FS. piece 85, f 4 page2
    William Edwards 40 and Susannah Edwards 35 . Children include 11 year old Samuel plus Hephzibah, Martha, Margaret , K?, and Esther age 0.
    Looking at GRO birth registers for 1841 there is an Esther Edwards born Cambridge , mother's maiden name Farr.
    Could be worth investigating further.
    K? in census stands for Kerenhappuck. The official goverment GRO site also gives for Karenhappuck mother's maiden name Farr.

I cannot find a 1851 census for this family. Esther, Kerenhappuck and Margaret should still be at home...
    Or they all emigrated to USA ?

Family*Search has a christening for a Susan Farr in Elsworth/Cambridge in 1801.

Hello again WinneB
    I've been trying to reply this morning but my posts seem to keep disappearing! So here goes again...
    I cannot find the family after 1841 either so they may well have emigrated. There was another child Alice b 1844 so it would be after that. Kerenhappuck(great name) was not the Kerenhappuch Edwards who married in Birmingham in 1852 as she can be traced.
    Do you have any information about Samuel in Canada or USA which might help in the search? Tho of course they are not necessarily related to your Samuel...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for Alice b.1844.
    GRO gives one more daughter, but without forename, b. 1843.

Grisel, let me explain where I stand so far. The fact you found Susannah Edwards in houshold of 1841 census has maiden name Farr, now forces me to settle with William born in Cambridgeshire. FS shows quite a few William Edwards born +/- 1800 in the Cambridge area, hence I don't see a reason to question the correctness of his birthplace in that 1841 census. Problem is, William born in Cambridgeshire does't fit in my larger family tree as expected.
    Let me chew on this for a while...

Hello, I have been mulling this over too. It would be good to get more information on the Cambridge family even if only to eliminate them.
    A few random observations and thoughts.
    In the 1822 marriage to Ann Eversden , William is of the parish of Needingworth, Huntingdonshire (residing there, but not necessarily born there. It is quite closeby).Witnesses John and Elizabeth Few.
    Susannah seems to have had a daughter Ann Eversden in 1819. Ann married a John Howes and they had children. Could lead to living descendants and possible dna links?
    There is a death of a William Edwards age 52, Cambridge 1847. Could be worth checking.Does it correspond with details from the 1841 census?

If this family did emigrate around 1848 it was the time of the Irish famine and there were many deaths and illnesses onboard the emigrant ships.

Growing old Disgracefully

I have found a death for a Samuel Edwards birth Sept 18 1829 died age 81 died in 1911 of Blood Poisoning which has his a father William H Edwards and mother Susan Farr in Pennsylvania