Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool Pell and Hare Families Lincoln

Hi!
    I’m looking into my family tree for the names Pell and Hare in Lincoln!
    There is one person I do need help with. It is my Great Grandfather Joseph Pell.
    He was born in 1880 at Helpringham, Lincolnshire and died at the age of 25 (1905) in Lincoln?
    According to family stories he worked on the railway but was tragically killed after being “shunted”!
    Apparently my GGrandad was living with his wife (Elizabeth Ann nee Hallam born in Gainsborough) in Trent Street Gainsborough (no 6), or they could have been living in the parish of St Nicholas in Lincoln, when she was widowed but soon after married Walter Ladlow! My Grandfather (Joseph Walter Pell) was born in 1902?
    I cannot find any information on the tragedy which was supposed to have happened at Lincoln Station!
    Can anyone help please?

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have his death cert? Should state cause of death.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Marty1958,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I presume you're relying purely on family stories and do not have any birth, marriage, or death certificates. The advise is, always purchse them, especially in the case of direct ancestors. In this case, the purchase of Joseph's death certificate would have told you that he died as the result of an railway accident.
    It was reported in the papers (not just Lincoln ones), plus the reports of the inquest. You can get three free images from the British Newspaper Archives site, or there's stuff in the newspaper section of Findmypast.
    FMP may be available for free in a local library, otherwise you can take out a free 14-day trial. Just make sure you untick the 'auto-renewal' box else your bank account will gave a nasty shock on day 15! Though I'm not sure if the newspapers are included in the free trial.

Joseph Pell married Elizabeth Ann ELAM, September quarter 1899, Lincoln registration district.

In 1901 they were living in Wilson Street, parish of St Nicholas, Lincoln.
    Joseph, aged 21, is a railway porter, born Helpringham.
    Elizabeth is 25 and born Guisborough, Yorks.
    Census reference RG13/3063 folio 99 page 20

Their children were Joseph Walter, birth registered June quarter 1901, George Elam, birth registered June quarter 1903, and Ada Ann, birth registered Mar quarter 1905. All in Lincoln registration district, and all with mother's maiden name of Elam.

Websites you need - https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    It's still a work in progress, but most entries between 1 July 1837 and 1983 have been transcribed.

For obtaining BMD certificates always use this (the official one, and the one all the other sites who imply they can supply certificates, have to apply to)
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    For certificates listed in the Historical indexes you can obtain a black and white PDF copy of the certificate. Not the 'quality' of a certified copy, bug £4.25 cheaper.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

There is a newspaper report for Saturday 2 Sept 1905 about this. I'm currently looking at the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, but it was have picked up by other northern papers.
    In short, it says that he lived at 12 Kingsley St, Lincoln, knocked down by a train at the Holmes Sidings in Lincoln at about midnight on Thursday, died of injuries 2 hours later. Widow & 3 sons. Night man and tranship porter, worked for Great Northern Raiway, sent with message to a shunter, hit by a train that was shunting. (Details of injuries).

There's a followup on Mon 4 Sept after the inquest. (Testimony from witnesses, train drivers, medics). Essentially, they thought that the noise from one train drowned the noise of the other, and when they waved to JP to watch out, he stopped walking to look around rather than dodging.

I'm using the British Newspaper Archive, but FMP has access to a lot of their files.

I wouldn't say eight years was exactly 'soon after'.

Elizabeth A Pell married Arthur Ladlow, December quarter 1913, Lincoln registration district.

1911 census, living 19 Kingsley Street, Lincoln. Census reference RG14/19750 SN123
    Elizabeth Pell, 35, widow, born Guisborough, Yorks
    George Elam Pell, 8, Lincoln
    Ada Ann, 6, Lincoln
    Arthur Ladlow, boarder, 33, widower,
    Beatrice Mary Ladlow, boarder, 5, Woodhouse Mill near Sheffield

Beatrice's birth registration - September quarter 1905, Sheffield registration district, mother's maiden name Carter.

Can't find Joseph Walter Pell in the 1911 census. Wonder if he just got missed off his mum's household list?

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Pell & Ladlow

I know that Grandad Ladlow (as we called him) lived above my Auntie and Uncles shop on Burton Road (opposite the Wagon and Horses and Mount Street), which is also the road that my Nan & Grandad Pell had their shop (opposite the Post Office and in the middle of the Calverts shops! My Grandad Pell has gone to live with his uncle, the Elam’s who first had the shop and Grandad inherited it. As we be of the posts suggests that GGrandads wife resorted to the name Elam for the kids that is why I can’t find trace of Grandad although I know he was there and th3 subsequent Kelly’s list both Elam and Pell for 115 Burton Road!
    I am on Ancestry dot com and was getting a bit muddled with the fact that the name Joseph Pell was used in 3? generations!
    Many thanks Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I wouldn't say eight years was exactly 'soon after'.

Elizabeth A Pell married Arthur Ladlow, December quarter 1913, Lincoln registration district.

1911 census, living 19 Kingsley Street, Lincoln. Census reference RG14/19750 SN123
    Elizabeth Pell, 35, widow, born Guisborough, Yorks
    George Elam Pell, 8, Lincoln
    Ada Ann, 6, Lincoln
    Arthur Ladlow, boarder, 33, widower,
    Beatrice Mary Ladlow, boarder, 5, Woodhouse Mill near Sheffield

Beatrice's birth registration - September quarter 1905, Sheffield registration district, mother's maiden name Carter.

Can't find Joseph Walter Pell in the 1911 census. Wonder if he just got missed off his mum's household list?

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks Lesley! That has cleared the story up for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1958 View Post
    I know that Grandad Ladlow (as we called him) lived above my Auntie and Uncles shop on Burton Road (opposite the Wagon and Horses and Mount Street), which is also the road that my Nan & Grandad Pell had their shop (opposite the Post Office and in the middle of the Calverts shops! My Grandad Pell has gone to live with his uncle, the Elam’s who first had the shop and Grandad inherited it. As we be of the posts suggests that GGrandads wife resorted to the name Elam for the kids that is why I can’t find trace of Grandad although I know he was there and th3 subsequent Kelly’s list both Elam and Pell for 115 Burton Road!
    I am on Ancestry dot com and was getting a bit muddled with the fact that the name Joseph Pell was used in 3? generations!
    Many thanks Pam
    Ah, found Joseph, indexed as Bell on FMP. Aged 9, born Lincoln, and, as you say, living with Joseph Elam (63, born Moulton, Lincs) and his wife Elizabeth (61, transcribed as born Somerby, Yorks, which I think is actually Sowerby) in Burton Road. Census reference RG14/19749 SN37.

Apropos of nothing, some distance rellies of mine had a pub in Burton Road after WW2, and the Waggon and Horses name rings a distant bell. Must look out mum's notes to see if she names the pub.

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Pam!