Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In 1851 David and Charlotte are with 2 of their children Elizabeth age 12 and Frances age 8. On the GRO index Frances birth reg is IOW March 1/4 1843 mmn Rayner.
    Nothing to tie this couple in with your Eliza as yet.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aynnie View Post
    Thank you for your quick response, I was not thinking I would get help this quick...lol
    It isn't Eliza that is the wrong one it is her parentage, I was told that her parents were David Fleming and Charlotte Rayner, that was from my grandmother and I know that oral history changes with time, so I am trying to figure this one out and where to go. I need to find her parents Jacobs parents are James Rayner B:C1781 Chale-IoW and Jane Dash B:C1792 -Bonchurch-IoW
    I may as well start with a stupid question.
    I think that in the US you count 'greats' in a different way to us Brits.
    I have
    me
    my mum Mary
    her mum Elizabeth - who is my grandmother
    her mum Rebecca - who is my great-grandmother
    her mum Jane - who is my great-great-grandmother (2x great-grandmother)
    her mum Ann - who is my great-great-great grandmother (3x great-grandmother)
    Is that how you've counted back to Eliza?
    The reason for asking is to try and find out how close your grandmother was to the Rayner surname. Do you know if she did any family history research, or is it definitely 'repeated down the family'? You don't say whether your grandmother was born in the US or England, but do you have her birth certificate, and then marriage and birth certificates for her parents, and, in turn, their parents? Thereby proving the link back to Jacob and Eliza. (Re-reading another of your posts, I'm assuming your link goes back to Ellen Maria Rayner who married Henry Bushell in 1870.)

In the censuses Eliza is consistent with her age. (Some people's ages vary wildly - they're 20 in one census, 25 in the next, 37 in the next, so they can be more difficult to trace.)
    1841 - she's 25.
    1851 - she's 35
    1861 - she's 45
    1871 - she's 54
    1881 - she's 65
    Jacob wavers a bit, being 25, 38, 47, 55, 66 respectively.
    This puts Eliza's year of birth about 1816. See this post, and the baptism information in the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    The FLEMING family in Whippingham in 1841 is James and Ann (probably the same person as Hannah) with daughters Mary and Frances, as well as Elizabeth aged 1 who looks likely to be the daughter of Mary (Mary Ann) baptised in 1840. Also their son Frederick with his wife Eliza (TAYLOR), and son John is aged 15 and working as a servant.

I would be looking at this baptism:

Arreton
    Born 2 June
    Baptised 25 June 1815
    Eliza FLEMING
    Daughter of James and Hannah of Bridlesford
    (Labourer)

Of the three birthplaces that Eliza gives, 'Atherton' and 'Harrington' do not exist and I would think are a reference to Arreton.

https://www.searle.org.uk/IoW-CRO/Fleming.html
    I don't understand how DNA works but you could still be connected to David and Charlotte and their daughter Eliza if the two Eliza's are cousins.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Aynnie
    GRO Index https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates
    You have to sign up but it is free and a great resource in conjunction with FreeBMD.
    Christina
    Thank you, I will spend some time there on my next day off. I apologize am learning to navigate in this site, and get a bounce around with my thoughts.
    again Thank you
    Aynnie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank yo so much for this, Found Jacob and Elizabeth? will have to find out about her as am now questioning her name... It is giving me plenty to do this Autumn.
    Aynnie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam:
    I counted back the way that you showed, and it was oral history, My Grandmother was born in New Zealand to Robert Taylor who was the son of Samuel Taylor and Eliza Ann Rayner, who was the daughter of Jacob and Eliza Rayner. Robert went to NZ around 1895 he was 22. Ellen Maria Bushell also went to NZ with her family. My grandmother did write down her history and I can confirmed her personal info and going to Samuel Taylor and will be more info. There were some ancestors that went to the states. I have found it a little difficult to get info from there as I am in Canada. I have connected with other cousins that are reseaching the same falilies and they were found through DNA matches with Ancestry.
    Again Thank you so much for your help
    Aynnie

Robert Taylor who was the son of Samuel Taylor and Eliza Ann Rayner
    I can see Robert's birth reg on the GRO index mmn Rayner but using FreeBMD the only marriage registrations I can see for a Samuel Taylor to a Rayn*r anywhere, anytime on FreeBMD is one on the same page as a Hannah Raynor/Rayner in June 1/4 Manchester 1861 and another on the same page as a Hannah Raynor 1908 Driffield East Riding of Yorkshire. So do you have a marriage certificate for Samuel Taylor and eliza* Ann Rayn*r?
    Christina

ps. I live about 100 km from where Robert died in 1938.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12