Starting to feel at home

Default William Eastwood where did you go?

Hi,

I'm a bit stuck with an ancestor named William Eastwood possibly born 1792 in Wortley near Penistone.

I have his Grandfather(Simon) Will dated 1810 which states a share goes to grandson William, son of late son Simon if he should return from abroad. I think Simon jnr was born in1768 and died in 1792 possibly marrying Sarah Temporal in 1790. I did wonder if "returns from abroad" may be code for in prison!!!. I have come across a record showing an Eastwood fighting Napoleon but the local archives who have records of local men who fought do not list an Eastwood.

Im stumped.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You are probably doing him down - he may well have been a soldier, or he may have gone to sea. Unfortunately most records don't survive.

Unless you happen upon him in a census or some other document I doubt that you will solve the mystery.

Knowledgeable and helpful

What about this baptism

William Eastwood 24 May 1790 St Nicholas, Bradfield Sheffield, son of Simon Eastwood of Gale

Image availble on fmp

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

In the 19th century, "abroad" did not necessarily mean out of the country. It might just mean "away from home".

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for the replies. I will keep plugging away and perhaps one day I will drop on something to clarify where he was. I think its the wording in the will that makes me think there was more to it than just being away from home.
    "if my aforesaid Grandson William Eastwood should die without lawful issue before he returns from abroad"

Famous for offering help & advice

your record of an Eastwood "fighting Napoleon" I guess is the same one as FMP has - William Eastwood in the 7th Light Dragoons in their Penisular Medal Roll data set

Starting to feel at home

Yes that's the one, I'd like to think that's him but I don't think the dates tie up. If he was born around 1792 and the will was written in 1810 that would make him about 18 at the time and he was already abroad by then. What sort of age did men sign up.

There does seem to be links to the Light Dragoons and 18th Hussars in the area and for awhile there was a Regimental Museum here.