Thread: Help with MOD.

Default Help with MOD.

Hi. I have sent off for my fathers Army Records from MOD. It is about 4 weeks ago. Does anyone know if they acknowledge they have received the information I have sent or do I just wait for the records to come, or should I phone them to ask it they have received my request forms. Thank you.

When I sent off for my Dad's, it took about 3 months. Like me, you've chosen a year when there are significant World War anniversaries, and this apparently increases the numbers of people who apply. I'm afraid that the only thing to do is wait or, better, find other angles that MOD won't deal with. For example, I assume that you know his regiment and rank? You can try tracking the movements of his regiment using the newspapers of the time. Also, I once found out where a soldier had been by searching for his battalion and regiment on the CWGC site. He had survived but some of his comrades hadn't and the CWGC site has background info on how the people in the cemetery came to be buried in whatever cemetery you are looking at.

It's surprising what can be found by widening your search a little. I always assume that I'd not find much about my G-Uncle George who went to (and died at) the Anglo Boer War with the Black Watch, but I turned to the papers to try and find out exactly when he left the UK so that I could date a photo. While all the regiments were mentioned, his Battalion had a well-known football team and I could trace their movements across the UK and S.Africa by following the football! They played friendly games whenever they could. Even if all you can find is accounts of the conditions where they were, that's still part of your Father's story.

Good luck!

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I cannot use any other site as I have not got my fathers regiment or army number so have to depend on Mod for information.

Did he survive the War?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    Hi. I have sent off for my fathers Army Records from MOD. It is about 4 weeks ago. Does anyone know if they acknowledge they have received the information I have sent or do I just wait for the records to come, or should I phone them to ask it they have received my request forms. Thank you.
    They don't acknowledge receipt of requests.
    Have you checked your bank account to see if the cheque has been presented for payment?
    I know when my cheque was presented but can't remember when I wrote it so will have to check when I go upstairs.
    Think my uncle's records took about seven weeks to arrive.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Did he survive the War?
    Yes he survived the War and continued in the Army after the War until 1930.