Thread: Evening!

Default Evening!

Hi there.
    I'm a descendent of Freddie Lyndsell, who served in the East Surreys during WW1. I've been researching him for a few months (and the family tree more broadly for a lot longer) and have got a tad stuck, so thought I'd see if anyone here can help! I'll see if there's any similar queries, otherwise I'll post a thread in a relevant part of the site.

Famous for offering help & advice

Is this him ?
    Frederick W Lyndsell
    Soldier Number: 11748, Rank: Private, Corps: East Surrey Regiment

Tis indeed. I've just posted something in the FWR section as I'm stuck trying to understand parts of his Casualty Form/Active Service record.

Famous for offering help & advice

So you have the info on his parents etc? There are some brilliant members on here who may be able to help with his military records.

Hi, yes, I've tracked his parents and beyond. I actually have his and his sister's school reports from one year. I'm really interested in his service and various movements (I've inherited a shoebox with a few letters and postcards from him) and am trying to clarify one or two things. Fingers crossed some of the members here will be able to help! Thank you for the welcome.

Welcome to the Britisg-Genealogy forums Lyndswll
    As you came to us from Forces War records reading this will explain the connection.

60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a lottery as to whether the ones you want have survived.
    ancestry and Findmypast are licensed to make these records available online. They are both pay per view sites but both do have free library versions. Your local library may have one of them.
    What do survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Award and medal records but it is very rare for these to have any personal information.
    As you know which regiment he served in you could try looking up the relevant war diaries on The National Archives site. This will give you a general idea of where he was posted and when but it is highly unlikely you will find any mention of him as he wasn't an officer.
    Christina

Oh you are one lucky person - there is a service record for him. I haven't read it as yet so don't know how many pages or information.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs