Richard Miller

Default Army Lists - Rank in the Corps and Army

Hi

I have been looking at some old Army lists from 1778 and 1786 for my 5th Great Grandfather James Bramham. The lists appear to give separete dates for promotion of rank, the first being with the Corps (of Engineers in James Bramham's case) and the second in the Army.

Please could someone kindly explain this difference to me.

thanks

Richard

Default Army Ranks

We would need to have the full detailsof you GG to be sure but in that period there were many voluntary Units of Cavalry, Infantry and Engineers.
    They were usually formed by a wealthy landowner who wanted to be able to use a high military rank and wear a smart uniform while staying in the comforts of home, without actually having to join the army (perhaps I am being cynical here!).
    Many of the soldier recruits would be his employees and usually a few ex-military would be employed to give training etc. The Junior Officers usually were relatives or sons of other local landowners.
    Many of these Junior officers of the voluntary units would go on to join the Regular Army but although they may have a Rank of Lieutenant or even Captain in the voluntary unit they would start anew in the Regular Army as Cornet or 2nd Lt and even if they bought a higher rank, their seniority would not take into account the voluntary service.
    As a rank in the volunteers was not regarded as highly as a rank in the regular army they would often be listed separately and once a good rank in the regular army was achieved the voluntary rank would quietly be dropped.