Thread: Hi I'm Tim

Default Hi I'm Tim

Hi, im Tim, and I'm here looking for details on my paternal grandfathers war records. Truth is I never spoke to him about it when he was alive, and during my teenage years my grandfather suffered with dementia. My father has always said that he never spoke a whole lot about what he saw. Anyway, thats me.
    Last edited by welshineire; 07-05-2019 at 5:31 PM. Reason: gramatical errors

Hi Tim and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain our connection.
    If your grandfather served in WW11 then his service records will still be with the MoD. This 'sticky' explains and gives links to download the application forms.
    If it was WW1 then we can help to a degree. 60 % plus of WW1 service records were destroyed in WW11 by bombing/fire so it is a bit of a lottery whether those you need are available.
    What do survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Medal and Award Rolls but these very rarely give any personal information, just the name, regiment, regiment number(s). But knowing this you can look up the relevant war diaries to see where someone served and what was happening at certain times.
    Searching and being sure one has the correct person is easier if the soldier has an uncommon name. .
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This thread is closed. If you can help please reply on this thread. https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...1-WWII-records.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs