Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Jacob prime 1848-1899 brick wall on birth

Hi not sure where to post this but I need some help if any one can! My 2 x great grandad
    Jacob prime 1848-1899 I can find him on 1891 England census and also his marriage in 1870 to Elizabeth Bailey. It states his place of birth as USA and his father's name John.
    Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction of finding out where in the USA Jacob Prime was born/from?

I cant find anything before the marriage although he is on the 1871 census as Chas j prime and the next census is transcribed as Prince, on the census the family live in Tottenham and bethnal green and their children enrolled in school.
    One last thing im 99% sure he was black. looking for a little help thank you

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    As a base from which to start this is the 1881 census with the surname transcribed as Prince
    RG11 Piece 1386 Folio 112 Page 15
    2 Alexandra Terrace Hillside Rd. Tottenham
    Jacob Prince 30 Fishmonger American
    Elizabeth Prince 28
    Henry Prince 10
    Ada Prince 8
    Elizabeth Prince 5
    Florence Prince 3
    Jacob Prince 1
    Elizabeth and children all born Shoreditch Middlesex.

FreeBMD has his surname as Prime at his marriage but on ancestry's source record from England, Marriages, 1538–1973. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013. it is Prince. This is a transcription so that may be the problem although as yet I can't see it on familysearch.org.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, yes that's the right family. I've found his marriage records and on the 1871 census his name is chas j prime x

Famous for offering help & advice

One of the trees on Ancestry has had this note added to it by someone other than the tree owner:

Thought you might like to know that there was a "Missing Friend" advert in the "Boston Pilot" 1 Jan 1876:
    "OF JACOB PRIME (colored), who left Connecticut about seven years ago; he wrote a letter five years ago, and I have not heard of or from him. I have written to London, where he was at the time he wrote, but the letters were sent back. His mother, Mary Prime, is anxious about him. Direct to Mary Prime, 10 Morgan street, New Bedford, Mass. "
    So your Jacob is the one born New Haven, Connecticut with parents John and Mary - his age is mistakenly shown as 14 on the 1850 US census when it should say 4, and then he is 13 on the 1860 census but the surname was mistranscribed as Prieve on ancestry. His Civil War record shows that he was 19 in 1864

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, yes I had seen that but unsure if its correct person, so hoping a different view could help x

Famous for offering help & advice

Well you have a man of the right name, right age, right country, right father, and known to have moved to England at about the right time, so it seems a very strong probability.