Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face William (Willie) Warrington

Birthdate given as 1894, found Nov 15, 1898, St. Leonards Parish, Shoreditch, Cottage Home of Hornchurch. Looking for parents, DOB, relatives.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Elliemay,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Without wishing to seem harsh, the details as you've given them sound as if you've found a piece of random information and want to know about the person in that information. It would help if you could tell us the background to your interest in William, and also where you found those details. (i.e. website and if somewhere such as Ancestry or Findmypast, the name of the record set.) Being able to view the actual record often helps us more than just reading a transcription.

I have deleted your post about William in the Strays forum. Duplicate posts are not allowed because they cause confusion.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Your message is harsh.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Trying to trace parent(s). According to the Admissions/Discharge Journal records for Parish of St. Leonards, Shoreditch - Cottage Homes at Hornchurch, entry November 15, 1898 Willie Warrington was a Lost Boy; found by C.P. 314 G., he was given a DOB of 1894, his name is recorded as Willie Warrington (name being given by the boy). Also, the Cottage Homes Committee, posted an Ad in the Shoreditch Guardian Newspaper, same information, ‘with a view to trace his parents’. Willie was Admitted to the Hornchurch Cottage Homes, and remained there until 1907, when he was brought to Canada, S.S. Tunisia Ship Board Records, as a farm labourer. I am trying to research background information, from his Admission to the Cottage Homes.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Elliemay

I did look at your puzzle yesterday and then the day went pear shaped without me finding anything useful at all apart from being able to discount Willie Warrington born Yorkshire 1892 as he is still with his parents in the 1911 census.
    I have zilch understanding of the processes of DNA but it may be that is the way to go with this just to make sure that the name Warrington actually shows in the results. As I say. I don't know how it works and who has to have their DNA done but it may be worth looking in to.
    There is a William Warrington birth registered Pancras March 1/4 1892 mother's maiden name Fletcher and the only entry on FreeBMD I can see in the London area at the moment for a female Fletcher and male Warrington on the same page is in the June 1/4 1873. of course Willie may have been illegitimate and Warrington his mother's maiden name. I also am reluctant to accept this as his correct surname at the moment. If he was 4 years old when found would he know his surname/ remember it correctly/ did he live with a family with that surname that wasn't his? So many scenarios. Hence the DNA suggestion.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

On Ancestry if you do their DNA it will give you hits/list to other people who have the same DNA as you.
    A cousin who I help with her Family tree had hers done awile back.
    A lady in Australia had hers done also which gave her a list of names one of which was my young cousin, who is buzy with Uni.
    Ronny in Australia contacted the other people on her list also, my cousis gave my e-mail address to Ronny who contacted me.
    It turns out her father had been sent to Australia like your person was sent to Canada.
    His mother and my Grand mother where sisters.
    If you know which Farm he was sent to some times they have records that you could ask to see.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have been contemplating your response. I have been reluctant to submit a DNA sample because I already know, for instance my grandfather was from England etc. My grandfather told me, when I was very young, that he was given the name Warrington, from the nurses/attendants at the Homes, based on the street name where he was found. I have tried to study maps of the area, and have not found ‘Warrington Street’. The Board of Guardians journal entry states, that this is my grandfathers name is based on what he stated as his name, so therefore that is what he was named. My presumption here is, that the journal entry for November 1898 begins the path to his being placed at Hornchurch. What is very interesting to me, is, as you suggested, I could take the DNA test to possibly confirm, (which will be based on the DNA database content of other people with the name Warrington) that Warrington, may be a name based on his circumstances, and not his real name, or a match to other Warrington DNA, thus confirming his last lineage. Your suggestion that a small child may not know his last name and birthdate is also of interest to me. My grandfather had a small frame, and stature. He was approximately 5’ 3 or 4. My mother, his daughter was 4’11”. I think the birth year 1894, is suspect, because he may have been 5-6, when he was found outside the Workhouse. Thank-you for your help, and insight.

Given your information that "Willi" could have been very small for his age I widened the birth year when searching and came up with a William Walter Warrington in the 1891 census age 1 born Willesden, Middlesex, a nephew of Eliza Roth, Widow, sick nurse, born Ashwick Somerset. Also with her is an Ellen Lloyd Jackman niece {birth reg June 1/4 1885 no mother's maiden name given (usually indicates illegitimate)}Also her daughter Ethel May Roff age 4 and two other children listed as visitors Ethel May Mayo age 3 and Blanche Mayo age 2.(these two with their mother and stepfather in 1901.

WWW birth reg on the GRO index
    William Walter Warrington Dec 1/4 1889 registration district Hendon vol 3a page 200 mother's maiden name Jackman.
    I can't find a Warrington/Jackman marriage on FreeBMD anytime anywhere yet until 1911 where there is an Isabella Jackman and a Daniel Warrington on the same page, doesn't mean they married each other.. So I looked into Eliza Roth's background and it turns out she was an Eliza Jackman who married a Samuel Roff in Sept 1/4 1874 in St George Hanover Sq district.
    After 1891 William Walter is not with Eliza Roff and her daughter and i can't see him on censuses as yet for sure.
    All of the above is supposition and needs to be proved that he is not 'your William for all the reasons given previously.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lightbulb

Thank-you for your digging. I am 90% certain, that the Willie in the Journal entry is my grandfather. I am not certain of his last name, or his birth year of 1894. I do know, from the Bernardo letter received, that he was William William, from the Hornchurch Cottage Homes, Essex. I am thinking of the DNA idea, and also, searching the Hornchurch Cottage Home records, if there is such a thing available, for a possible other William Warrington.
    Bernardo’s state in the letter to me ‘William was born 4 Aug 1894. He was admitted to the Annie McPherson Homes (?) from the shoreditch Union (a Workhouse for the poor) where he had been for the previous 10 years. No date was recorded for William’s admission to either the shoreditch Union or the McPherson Homes. He was emigrated to Canada 1907.....
    I think this is interesting, because I found his name in the Board of Guardians Journal, Admission 15 November 1898.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Elliemay View Post
    searching the Hornchurch Cottage Home records, if there is such a thing available
    All of the Shoreditch Union records are together including the Admissions and Discharges register that you have looked at. If you are using Ancestry they are not all indexed.

1. You need to go to the record set "London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1930"
    2. Browse this collection
    3. Borough - choose Hackney
    4. Parish or Poor Law Union - choose Shoreditch
    5. Choose a record type

The original records are at The London Metropolitan Archives and it wouldn't hurt to ask them if there are any records for the Hornchurch Cottage Homes have NOT been digitised by Ancestry. You could also cross check yourself using their online catalogue which tells you what is available on Ancestry.

Bernardo’s state in the letter to me ‘William was born 4 Aug 1894. He was admitted to the Annie McPherson Homes (?) from the shoreditch Union (a Workhouse for the poor) where he had been for the previous 10 years. No date was recorded for William’s admission to either the shoreditch Union or the McPherson Homes. He was emigrated to Canada 1907.....
    You are a bit mixed up here. The Hornchurch Cottage Homes in Essex were administered by the Shoreditch Union and he was not in the workhouse for 10 years. He was admitted to the Cottage Home on 14 or 15 Nov 1898 (different dates on the two records) and discharged to the Hornchurch fever hospital on 24 Dec 1905.

The admission and discharge register is image 59 (with notes in bottom left corner)
    The register of children is image 102

There is no person by this name on the 1901 census for the Hornchurch Cottage homes. There is a William WARREN, so that may be him and the name was incorrectly recorded.

Class: RG13; Piece: 1656; Folio: 153; Page: 1 (this is actually page 2 of the return)

Lost Boy; found by C.P. 314 G.
    That is P.C. 314 G as in Police Constable.

William did not immigrate in 1907, it was 1909, and the inbound manifest states that the children were from Miss Mcpherson's home. The Annie MacPHERSON Home of Industry was at 29 Bethnal Green Road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast