Default SYLVESTER MOSES c 1830-1913-ISAACS SISTERS

This new thread provides a range of data on Sylvester Moses c1830-1913 son of Henry Moses and Rosa Hart. The data is taken from the Jewish Chronicle Archives and covers the newspaper articles pre and post the 1861-70; 71-80 which Doreen Berger transcribed and edited in her two volumes The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1999, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd.

I have already posted previous threads on the Hart/Moses and associated families see Henry Moses-Rosa Hart 22 April 2012;Samuel Isaacs-Leah Simmons 23 March 2019;Alfred Moses 1819-1910 30 Nov 2013 among others.

My interest in Sylvester Moses is through his mother Rosa Hart daughter of Benjamin Hart and unknown mother my 4x great grandparents. I have also cited the two World Connect Family trees on the Moses/Hart lines posted 2007 by two of my distant cousins. These are well documented and researched family trees.

I will post separately on the census data for Sylvester Moses who married two sisters 1 Rachael Isaacs and 2 Hannah Isaacs- their parents Samuel Isaacs/Leah Simmons.

This post focuses specifically on the Jewish Chronicle Newspaper articles which include reference to Sylvester Moses, his brothers, children and death.
    I will post further data on the lines.

Marriage
    On Monday July 3 Cannon Hotel CISSY eldest daughter of Sylvester Moses 150 Houndsditch to Adolphus SCOTT of Cape Town third son of Mr and Mrs Saul SCOTT, Lodge Road Birmingham JC July 7 1882

Death
    On the 15 February at 125 Petherton Road N Montague H MOSES brother of Sylvester Moses of 44 Priory Road NW..
    JC Monday Feb 23 1900

Death
    ADOLPHUS- On the 14 Nov at 186 Sutherland Avenue W Emma the dearly beloved sister of Mr and Mrs A HYAM 19 Randolph Crescent,Mrs B BARNETT 32 Maida Vale and Mr Sylvester MOSES 100 Greencroft Garden-JC Nov 16 1906

Death
    ALFRED MOSES-The death has occurred at Richmond Virginia in his 91st year of Mr Alfred Moses who served through the Civil War with the Confederate Army. He was the brother of Mr Sylvester Moses of London. The deceased was for some time connected with the Richmond School Board. JC Aug 19 1910

WILLS
    Mr Sylvester MOSES of 150 Houndsditch and 100 Greencroft Gardens Hampstead died May 23 will and codicil- sons Henry Moses 40 Ferncroft Avenue and Samuel Moses Greencroft Gardens and Montague Moses 114 Priory Road. £43,503 14s gross-£4000 each to his sons;£1500 to charities;£10 to Georgina Devonport;£100 to step son David MOSS;£100 to step daughter Julia MENDOZA;£100 to Mrs Caroline MOSES;£50 each to Celia and Louise MOSES as wedding gifts should they marry a husband of the Jewish faith; £100 each to his grand children, residue to his three sons and three daughters Hannah PHILLIPS, Laura HARRIS, Cissy SCOTT JC Aug 8 1913

TOMBSTONE
    The Tombstone to the Memory of the late Mr Sylvester MOSES will be set at Willesden Cemetery on Sunday Feb 1st at 3.30 pm - JC Jan 30 1914

More to follow
    Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default EMMA ADOLPHUS NEE MOSES SARAH MOSES

This post adds records from the Jewish Chronicle Archives relating to Emma Adolphus nee Moses and Sarah Moses the sisters of Sylvester Moses.
    Death
    On the 9th November 186 Sutherland Avenue, Sarah MOSES dearly beloved sister of Sylvester Moses of 44 Priory Road,Mrs Emma Adolphus of 186 Sutherland Avenue, Mrs A HYAM 19 Randolph Crescent and Mrs B BARNETT 77 Greencroft Gardens-JC Nov 15 1901

Emma Moses had married Edward Adolphus in 1847.

Will
    March 14 1900 with codicil-MRS EMMA ADOLPHUS 186 Sutherland Avenue who died Nov 14 proved by Lewis Barnett 7 Lauderdale Road and Henry Lewis Hyam 19 Randolph Crescent the nephews. The value of the property £3847 16s 9d gross and £3740 19s 1d net.
    The testatrix gave £300 each to her executors and the income for life from the residue of her property to her sister SARAH MOSES. Bequests to the Board of Guardians Home for the Aged and Needy. £600 to her sister ESTHER BARNETT, £200 to her sister PRISCILLA HYAM,£100 each to her nieces Florence and Lillie Barnett, £50 to her nephew Bertie Barnett,£100 each to her nieces Cissie and Flory HYAM,£50 each to her nephews Monty and Alfred HYAM; £75 each to her nieces Cecilia,Evelyn,Louise and Teresa MOSES;£150 to her brother Sylvester MOSES;£200 to her niece Daisy BENJAMIN; £50 to her sister in law Caroline MOSES;£50 each to her nieces Lizzie , Dorothy, Winnifred BARNETT; £50 each to her nieces Vera and Beatrice BARNARD and the residue of her property to her executors-JC Dec 14 1906

Phillip

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi do you have any infomation about David Moss stepson of Sylvester Moses. named in this will. My family is Moss on my dads side and just wondered if he is part of my family.
    thanks

Hi Sandy
    First of all here is the first marriage of Rachel Isaacs to David MOSES - see Synagogue Scribes GSMa 068/61 9 June 1847- her father's Hebrew name Shmuel - David Moses father's Hebrew name Benjamin Zeev.

The 2 children born from this first marriage were Julia b 1849 and David b 1851. Here is the marriage of Julia MOSS to Lazarus MENDOZA- Marriage 15.11.1876 at the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, daughter of the late Rachel and David MOSS,to Lazarus sixth son of Israel and Elizabeth MENDOZA of 69 Nicholl Square Hackney Road E- Relatives- Agnes Mendoza, B A BARNETT brother in law,Welcome MENDOZA sister in law,S MARKS brother in law,Joseph MENDOZA brother in law, Alice NATHAN sister in law,Mordecai Mendoza brother in law- source The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger 1999 Publisher Robert Boyd

David Moss appears in 2 census with his step father Sylvester Moses. Looking at the original Moses surname for David Moses aka Moss the father of David b 1851 it maybe the case that the two Moses families of Sylvester (his father Henry Moses) and David Moses are related.
    Here are the 1861 and 1871 Census where David Moss appears with his step father. You will note that the 1871 Census has Julia has David as niece and nephew of Sylvester but that is an error.

I have yet to trace David Moss post 1871 and need more research.

1861 Census (Copyright TNA) RG9211 24 8
    13 Cutler aka Carter Street St Botolph Aldgate
    Sylvester Moses H M 30 Clothier
    Hannah wife 24
    DAVID MOSS stepson10
    Cecilia Moses dau 7 mths
    All born St Botolph Aldgate
    +1 servant

1871 (Copyright TNA)RG10 414 56 7
    13 and 14 Carter St St Botolph Aldgate
    Sylvester MOSES H Widower 38 Manufacturing clothier employing 2 cutters, 2 travellers ,1 youth in warehouse
    Julia MOSES Niece u 21
    DAVID MOSES nephew u 20
    Cecilia Moses daughter 10
    Laura Moses dau 9
    Henry Moses son 8
    Simeon Moses son 7
    Montague Moses son 6
    Hannah Rachel Moses dau 5
    All born St Botolph Aldgate
    +2 servants

Would you like to post your own data which relates to David Moss?
    Phillip

This maybe David Moss with wife Louisa and son Samuel in the 1911 Census. David gave his address at birth as 13 Cutter or Cutler Street Houndsditch- Cutler Street was also known as Clothier Street and Cutter Street.
    1911 (Copyright TNA) RG14 2697 301
    33 Pearl Road Walthamstow
    David MOSS H Married 60 House Decorator own account b 13 Cutter? Street Houndsditch
    Louisa wife 64 married 39 years 6 children 3 alive 3 dead b 4 Kings St St.James
    Samuel son 27 single House decorator b 56 Stepney Green Mile End
    +1 boarder

Nb If this is the same family then they appear in earlier census records including 1881 Census at 56 Stepney Green

David Moss born 1851 also appears in the 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID 21134 with his dob as 18 Jan 1851 see JewishGen UK Data base.

I would like more proof to link David Moss b 1851 son of David Moses aka Moss/Rachel Isaacs to the records.

Phillip

See Free BMD- there is a possible marriage for a David Moss=Louisa MYERS Sept qtr 1872 London City 1c 186 but nothing in Berger or the Jewish Chronicle Archives regarding this marriage and further proof needed to connect this David to the step son of Sylvester Moses.
    Phillip

Growing old Disgracefully

Thank you for all the infomation I was interested because my Dad was Alfred Moss deceaced from Ealing, Middlesex. I haven't found a Jewish connection yet but our dad always said he had Jewish relitives and the Moss name should be Moses.

It would be interesting to see whether or not your father Alfred Moss did have Jewish connections. If you would like to post on a separate thread about your father and his parents I would be happy to look at the various records including Jewish sources.
    Phillip