Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Searching for Service Records

Hi my name is Julie, I am new to this site and I hope someone can help me. I am really struggling to get any results when searching for my Dad's WW11 records. Like a lot of old soldiers he wouldn't talk much about the war. His name was Joseph Webb born 28th July 1925 in Liverpool. He was conscripted 1943/1944 (he was living in Leicester at the time.) The only information I have is a sapper Scottish Royal Engineers - a Rotal Engineer 624 Unit Field Park ? Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I apologise if I am posting on the wrong thread. Thanking you in anticipation.

Service records from 1922 and after have not been released by the MOD for online publication, but family can buy a copy (unless the serviceman is still alive, in which case she/he can get a copy free).. There’s a message about this at the top of our WW2 forum, and links from the tops of our individual service forums, but essentially you will need a photocopy of the individual’s death certificate, 30 pounds and a bit of patience as they can get very busy.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley - THANKYOU I just couldn't understand why I wasn't getting any results - now I do. Will I now have enough information to apply for my Dad's records even though I don't know his service number?

Hi
    You do not need his service number or regiment, only his birth date and a copy of his death certificate plus 30 pounds.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you very much Christanel.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry Christina