Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Stalled on the ireland family from Painswick

My father's grandfather was Stephen William Biggers Davies (b) 1842 in Painswick Gloucestershire, England. His wife was Rebecca Ireland, also from Painswick (b) 1841. Rebecca's parents were Henry (?Hilan) Ireland (1803 - 1882) and Leah Mills (1807 - 1861). They were married on 24 December 1823. I think Leah's parents were William Mills and Martha Lawrence, but can't find any dates for them. As for Henry Ireland I can't find any parents at all. There were seemingly a lot of Irelands in Painswick around this time and I managed to contact a member of the Painswick Family History society but he was unable to help. A suggestion made to me by a distant relative who was also trying to trace them was that they belonged to a non-denominational group - apparently there were several in Painswick - and possibly they were not registered which seems odd. So if anyone can help me William and Martha, if they are indeed the parents of Leah; and also with finding parents for Henry Ireland, I would so appreciate it. As I live in South Africa, it is impossible for me to do on-the-spot research as I would love to do . . . .
    Last edited by mamerle; 21-04-2019 at 6:46 AM. Reason: Omitted marriage date.

Super Moderator

Did you receive a reply from me?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

No suemalings - no reply until this message? is there somewhere specific I should look? (Sorry, am new to this forum).

Super Moderator

I found the marriage of William and Martha and also Henry and Leah on a few census returns.

If you don;t have this info I can send it for you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have the marriage of Henry and Leah, but I don't have the marriage of William and Martha, so that would be really helpful; not sure how you send it though, you will have to guide me on this. Very many thanks for spending time on this for me, I am so grateful.

Mamerle, have a look at the dark blue bar almost at the top of the screen just under the roots of the tree stump. 4th option from the left says "notifications" - select it. If Sue sent you a personal message (aka "pm"), it should be there.

Super Moderator

I didn't send a personal message, I replied to your thread but when I looked again my reply was not showing. I will get the info again tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks Lesley - have found it and will make sure I check it in future.

Philimore's Marriage Index
    Painswick 1547-1812
    William Mills, b(achelor) & Martha Lawrence, s(pinster), 20 Sept 1800
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FMP baptisms (transcriptions)

Place - Painswick
    Parents - Wm and Martha Mills
    Ann, bap 19 July 1801,
    Elizth, bap 1 May 1803,
    Rebecca, bap 17 Jul 1803

Place - Frampton on Severn
    Parents - William and Martha Mills