Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Myhre - Stavanger to England 19th century

My great grandfather Helge August Myhre travelled from Stavanger in the nid 1800's. We have no exact record of departure from Stavanger or arrival in England apart from; a document dated Dec 1851 in Stavanger that was required by the Norwegian authorities for (overseas) travel.
    : and shipping notice of arrival at Hull on the SS Courier 1857 with the name Myhre (no christian names) occupation 'machinist'. His occupation is later shown as a jeweller/watchmaker.

We have no other details on Helge until he married Emily Brunette at St Mary's church Islington in 1859. They had a daughter in 1860 who appears in a baptisim record at All Souls ST, Marylebone.

The brickwall is no arrival details confirmed in England, and nothing else until he is married. Presumably he didn't speak english on arrival although he could have and no record of apprenticeship or training in any vocation.

Another brick wall is his brother Christian Henrik Myhre born in Drammen Norway 1829 who also travelled to England but no details of ship or dates. Perhaps he is the Myhre - 'machinist'? although in Norway he was shown as a blacksmiths assistant. We understand he was unmarried when he died in Tyneside. date unknown and so far does not appear in any census.

Help !!

I have changed the title of this thread from the name of the author to make it more informative about the search in the message - it may attract more help this way (and it will stop triggering my "duplicate thread!" reaction )

Starting to feel at home

This appears to be them on 1861 Census
    40, Berners Street, Marylebone, Middlesex
    Helge A Myhre Head Married M 1831 Watchmakers Norway
    Emily Myhre Wife Married F 1840 Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England
    Emily M Myhre Daughter - F 1861 Marylebone, Middlesex, England

Starting to feel at home

https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/156286984/person/102073906247/facts
    This is a tree on Ancestry which has parents and brothers of Helge but not anymore info re Helge. You can contact the tree owner if you haven't already.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 17-04-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Direct link to commercial company broken as per our T&Cs.

This could be Christian mistranscribed, the writng is very bad and difficult to read. I cannot make out his occupation, it could end in language.

1861, Elswick St Paul, Northumberland. RG 9; Piece: 3816; Folio: 48; Page: 25;
    As transcribed on Ancestry
    Samuel Thinkfall 26
    Mary Quickfall 30
    Sarah A Quickfall 11/12
    Christian M Meypre 32, boarder, born Norway
    Alma

Growing old Disgracefully

1871 Census Emily Myhre is a Widow with daughter Emily Maria Myhre (1860-) and son Hans August Myhre 1863

Default Myhre- Stavanger to England

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I have changed the title of this thread from the name of the author to make it more informative about the search in the message - it may attract more help this way (and it will stop triggering my "duplicate thread!" reaction )
    Thanks for the tip on the title !!

As I'm new to this site - I understand I should now revert to the Forum and use that instead of Brickwalls?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMyhre View Post
    As I'm new to this site - I understand I should now revert to the Forum and use that instead of Brickwalls?
    Hi
    just keep answering to this thread by clicking on Reply to Thread underneath the last post.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by katarzyna View Post
    https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/156286984/person/102073906247/facts
    This is a tree on Ancestry which has parents and brothers of Helge but not anymore info re Helge. You can contact the tree owner if you haven't already.
    You cannot trust trees on Ancestry people take the infomation from Ancestry Family Tree which has the wrong infomation in it. I just looked at one that has him Married to a different wife after he died and Lots of children.

If you check FreeBMD you can see the 2 children both born in London.
    Births Jun 1860 Emily Maria MYHRE, Marylebone, 1a 350
    Births Jun 1863 Hams (Hans) August MYHRE, E London, 1c 14

Lots of Births in Cardiff, Wales after them from 1879 onwards.

Can not find anything about his brother Kristian Henrik Myhre.

On Helgi and Emily marriage cert. it has his father as Ole Myhre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast