Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you. Yes Hans August born 1863 was my grandfather

Default Myhre- Stavanger 1950's

The next challenge is trying to confirm arrival of Helge in UK in or after 1852 from Norway.

His brother, Kristian Henrik was probably spelt Christian. We have a census 1861 spelling his name Meypre in Elswick, Newcastle. I suspect that is him given his birth year 1829 in Norway matches . Now searching for a death record.

Growing old Disgracefully

Do you have his brothers and father and mother

Yes I do have that information.

Do you want those details regarding my Post #12? Happy to provide them. They were born in Norway though.

Famous for offering help & advice

I've been able to view a clearer copy of that 1861 census and it looks to me like it says Christian Meyhre, Interpreter of Languages, so if this is Helge's brother then possibly an indication that they spoke English.

Probably a long-shot but in 1871 there is a Christian Mayer aged 39 born Norway living at St James Street, Liverpool with a family headed by 68 year old Edward Jackson. Christian is married to Edward's daughter, Hannah. Their marriage took place in Liverpool in 1864. Christian's father is Gens Meyer, a Bookkeeper

ADDED: OK Scrap that - from Helge's marriage record I see his father was Ole, a Hatter

Yes, Ole was a 'Master Hatmaker' in Drammen, Norway. I agree with your interpretation of the writing in the census although it doesn't sit with the information we have from Norwegian genealogists that his occupation was a 'blacksmiths assistant'. However, you never know !

Thanks for the input on Helge August Myhre and his wife Emily. His son Hans August B 1863 was my grandfather and we have quite good information on Helge and Emily from their marriage in 1859. What we don't have is when and how he arrived in UK probably 1852 or any information where he was from then to his marriage date.

His brother Christian Henrik Myhre would also have travelled to England about the same time, both from Norway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12