Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Bertram James Cornwallis West.

Hi New to all this.

I’m searching for my great grandfather Bertram James Cornwallis West. I know he was born about 1885 in Spitalfields London and married Lilian Rebecca Wakefield. They had 2 children John William Cornwallis West (DOB 1909) and Bertram James West (DOB 1910). I know that John was born in Great Yarmouth and that he died in 1938. My problem is that he died when my dad was 6months Old so we don’t know anymore than this.

I know that Bertram J C West sent a photo of my grandfather when he was born to his father (John) from the Sgt Mess in Great Yarmouth I don’t know what Regiment he was in or whether he was in the military. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Becksey.
    First of all I have given your post a thread of its own in the 'Brickwall" forum so it gets more attention. I have given it the title Bertram James Cornwallis West but if you want it changed to something else just ask.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you why and also show you how to view All the forums not just military.
    Now to take a look for your man. Ah I see you have a tree on ancestry
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

So Mother Ellen Frost turns up this birth registration on the GRO index. So his birth was not registered as Bertram and he also married as Bertie.

Bertie James West March 1/4 1885 registration district Whitechapel vol 1c page 308 mother's maiden name Frost.
    This may help in the search.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Findmypast have a service record for him with his registered birth name Bertie James West. regimental number 7001 of the Kent Artillery.

If you don't have a sub to FMP your local library may have it or you could take out a 14 day free trial but be sure to cancel before the trial date is up or you will be automatically charged a subscription.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Hi and thanks for the info. It will help loads!! I thought that may be the case but when I looked at my grandfathers birth certificate he was down as Bertram James Cornwallis West which sort of threw a spanner in the works. I found the Kent Regiment that you mentioned but can’t find it on any other site to clarify it. I’m also finding it hard to find his death. I know that Lilian (his wife) remarried a Walter Miller and they had children. My dad met some of them later in life. I can’t work out whether he died before she remarried or whether they divorced.

A fountain of knowledge

There are a few with the same name or similar.

An example

Tuesday 08 February 1910
    Mid Sussex Times
    Sussex, England
    MARRIAGES. West—Mitchell.— 22nd ult, St. John’s Church, Burgess Hill, Bertie James West to Elizabeth Amelia Mitchell.

Uk births [free bmd]

Births Mar 1897
    West Bertram James Wandsworth 1d 634

Births Dec 1909
    WEST Bertram James London C. 1c 3

Thank you!! The 1909 Bertram is possible my dads uncle. I know that Bertram J C West defo married a Lilian Wakefield before my grandad was born in 1908 and they were all living together in the 1911 census.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Becksey View Post
    I know that Lilian (his wife) remarried a Walter Miller and they had children. My dad met some of them later in life. I can’t work out whether he died before she remarried or whether they divorced.
    Remarriage for Lilian .. So must have died or divorced between the 1911 census and Sep quarter 1912.

Marriages Sep 1912
    Miller Walter West Southwark 1d 249
    West Lilian R Miller Southwark 1d 249

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a death reg for a Bertie J West in Southwark in Q3 1911

That narrows my search thank you �� Is there anywhere that will tell me if they divorced?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast