Thread: Help needed

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lightbulb Help needed

Hi All I’m new on this Forum and similar to another member would like help on the following matter
    Joseph McNulty was in the Merchant Navy (HMS President III ) which I now believe is not an actual ship but land based? He died on 1st January 1945 whilst serving. He was the father of my sister and I am trying to establish the nature and circumstances of his death just 12 month approximately after her birth any help would be welcome.

Famous for offering help & advice

If you have access to Ancestry the death is on their site. The circumstances of his death is recorded on the site. If you require more help Just askI can send you a PM.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi and welcome to the forum. President III was a Stone Frigate and catered for naval personnel serving on Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships. A quick look at British Vessels Lost at Sea WW2, shows no losses, neither HMS, nor Merchant vessels, for 1 January 1945. However, if he died of illness, accident, or the result of enemy action and the vessel was not lost, he would have been, in all probability, buried at sea and hence appear on the Plymouth Memorial.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Oh dear
    Find My Past shows him on SS City of Exeter. He committed suicide "Suicide by hanging whilst temporarily of unsound mind."
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    You may have seen this, but just to get you started, the CWGC has:
    D/JX266775 Able Seaman Joseph Mcnulty died 01/01/1945 HMS President III, Royal Navy. Apparently he's on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, panel 94, column 1. I must admit that seems a little odd if he died on dry land.

Wikipedia confirms that President iii was an accounting land base, spread over 3 locations (Bristol, Windsor & London).
    However, according to the Naval History Page
    HERE
    he was actually on a steamship called City of Exeter when he "died on war service".

(Pamela and Peter type faster than me!)

Famous for offering help & advice

I found the death & circumstances in which he died quite easily on Ancestry but thought it was maybe too sensitive to post on the general forum.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thank you

Can I say I’m impressed at the speed and information that I have received in such a small amount of time. Thank you very much for the help.