A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs down 1861 Census Milson (part) MISSING

Country England
    County Shropshire
    Registration district Cleobury Mortimer
    Enumeration district 12
    Parish Milson
    Archive reference RG09 Piece number 1846 Folio 152 (Pages 9/10)
    Summary page indicates that Milson is on Pages 9-15
    search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id
    =gbc%2f1861%2f1846%2f00294a

Folio 152 is last available and appears to be damaged, Page 9 has END written on it between 152 and [page 9.
    Folios 153-155 (pages 11-15) are missing from film on FMP.
    18 dwellings, 108 people missing

Did you look at the other info sources? As far as I know, there was more than one set of these forms (an antique dealer once tried to sell me the whole set for one census for Lincolnshire which he'd found under a piano during a house clearance), and I wonder whether Anc and FreeCEN are working from the same originals...

And if you're wondering, I didn't have enough spare money at the time, and they would not have fitted into my little VW Polo along with my luggage.

A fountain of knowledge

The short answer is:- No.
    The long answer is:- I assumed (dangerous, I know) that there was only one set available supplied by TNA.
    I will investigate FreeCEN. My sub to Ancestry expired early last year and I didn't renew because of problems with their search engine.
    If FreeCEN have transcripts I will have to visit my local library when the council allow them to open ( cuts restricting opening hours), to access Ancestry and hope they have the missing bits.

ADDED: FREECEN appear not to have transcribed Milson. (Back to square 1)

Do you have a name or two who should be in Milson? I’ll check ANC when I put the PC on.

A fountain of knowledge

Edward WYER, Edith (wife), Samuel E, Bennett and Mark (sons), living at 'The Butts' Milson. Family are there in '51 & 71'. Sam may have left, Bennet got married in '70. Both have left in '71

Reputation beyond repute

Neither FMP nor Ancestry scanned the original documents (except in a few cases and then only the prime contractor).

Both scans are from microfilm and both Ancestry and FMP end at the same place. The word "END" after the folio number on f 152 suggests to me that the pages you want are simply missing.

I would guess that when they were stamping folio numbers on the sheets of the original books (obviously before they were microfilmed) someone realised that some pages were missing and wrote "END" on the last surviving sheet.

You could try asking the National Archives about this particular enumeration book and see if they can confirm that some pages are missing (assuming the originals still exist!).

A fountain of knowledge

I did notify FMP & TNA that I thought some pages were missing and asked for confirmation but have had no response from either, so far, 4mths. and counting.

Reputation beyond repute

Ancestry not FMP were the original contractors ("partners") for the 1861.

The National Archives should have an answer but I suspect that the missing pages disappeared a long time ago.

The only glimmer of hope is that the National Archives catalogue does not show any part of piece 1846 as missing or wanting.

On the other hand, they have never tried to list every single missing page and cases where a dog ate half an enumeration book are left for us to find out!

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    . .

The only glimmer of hope is that the National Archives catalogue does not show any part of piece 1846 as missing or wanting.

On the other hand, they have never tried to list every single missing page and cases where a dog ate half an enumeration book are left for us to find out!
    Yes that was my tentative conclusion after searching for details about missing pages.

I only posted here to let others know there might be a problem not really expecting it to develop into a discussion.

Thank you both for your interest and help, it is appreciated.
    I'll have to add a note to my tree reminding me not to search for it.

Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps try phoning TNA or using live chat and ask who it is best to write to with this problem.