Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default LAZARUS, Alfred b 1822; David b 1834 England

I'd like to know what LAZARUS family Alfred and David LAZARUS came from.

Alfred LAZARUS, a clerk born England c. 1822, first appears in the 1850 US census (New York) in the household of Michael HARRIS (b. England c. 1815) with members of the AHRENS family.
    One of these AHRENS (AARONS) was Selena, whom Alfred married in 1853. With Alfred, Selena in the 1860 US census is David LAZARUS, printer, born England c. 1834.

By the time of the 1880 US census (New York) Alfred was a widow; still living with him were three daughters including Katie, born c. 1861.

In 1880 census, David LAZARUS (still a printer) is with MATILDA and three children. Their neighbours - who appear to be living in the house but as a separate household - are Solomon BELAIS and his wife, Jane / Jael who married in England in 1848. (Jane's father was David DE SOLA, a minister of Bevis Marks Synagogue, London) Solomon and Jane had five children, including a son Henry.

This Henry BELAIS later married Katie LAZARUS, daur of Alfred and Selena.

The above information points to Alfred Lazarus and David Lazarus being related, possibly brothers. The question is, who were their parents (whether one couple or two)?

The Records of the Franklin Family [ Franklin, Arthur Ellis, 1857-; Kaufmann, David, 1852-1899, available in digital format at https://archive.org ] has this information (p. 68):

B.3. Children of Elizabeth and Lewis LAZARUS [I've omitted 2-7]
    1. Henry, married Emma LAZARUS
    8. David Harvey, born 1834, married 1870 Matilda Schwarenski in New York.
    B. 3. 1. Children of Henry and Emma LAZARUS ...
    e. Alfred, married Selina Aarons, died.

At first glance this would appear a pretty straight identification, but there are problems.
    Lewis Henry LAZARUS [B.3.] was a son of Henry Hirsh and Parla Lazarus of London; he married Elizabeth AARON
    Census records show that they had among other children:
    Henry born c. 1814
    Alexander born c. 1823 [disappears after the 1841 England census]
    David born c. 1834 [disappears after the 1841 England census]

The above Henry LAZARUS married Emma (nee LAZARUS) (B.3.1.) in 1845 (synagoguescribes.com GSMa 015/01)
    They had a son Alfred, but he was born in 1848* and clearly can't be the Alfred who married Selina Aarons as is stated in the Franklin Records (Selina's Alfred having been born c.1822).

David (son of Lewis and Elizabeth) in the 1841 census, born England c. 1834, could well be the same who appears in the later US censuses married to Matilda. But I have no information beyond the Franklin Records, that these are same person. (Or that his name was David Harvey. Some of the US sources do say David H. Lazarus, but none say what H. stands for.)

And who is the Alfred Lazarus with whom the David of the US censuses is associated? Is he Alexander, born c. 1823 (cf. Alfred born c.1822), son of Lewis and Elizabeth and brother of David? This is the best I can work out, but I have no evidence that Alexander and Alfred are the same person.

There is an Alexander LAZARUS, born England c. 1822 in the US 1870 census, but nothing identifies him one way or the other.

I think I've checked most records on Ancestry.com that might help, but I can find nothing that shows one way or another who the LAZARUS men in the US censuses are, or what happened to the sons of Lewis and Elizabeth after 1841. Any suggestions out there?

*LAZARUS, ALFRED HENRY LAZARUS
    GRO Reference: 1848 D Quarter in EAST LONDON UNION Volume 02 Page 21

Eve (who is now in touch with a descendant of Henry BELAIS and Katie LAZARUS)

If you’re sure he was born in England, have you tried the 1841 census?

Default 1841

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If you’re sure he was born in England, have you tried the 1841 census?
    Absolutely. That would be the first place I'd check.

Default Success! Death cert info acquired

I had no sooner posted this than I got a message on another website from a descendant of Alfred Lazarus stating that she has a copy of his death certificate. According to her, the death cert. names Alfred's parents as Louis H. Lazarus and Elizabeth. I am waiting to receive a copy from her. I still don't know if this means he's their son Alexander (as listed in the 1841 census), or not.

What did the census say?

For clarity and to support other researchers here is the 1841 Census data on Henry Lazarus:
    (Copyright TNA) HO107 721 11 17 29 24 5
    Bury Street
    Henry LAZARUS 25 watch maker b in county
    Elizabeth Lazarus 45 Pencil maker not born in county
    Matilda Lazarus 27
    Mary Ann Lazarus 20
    Alexander Lazarus 18
    Louisa Lazarus 15
    Julia Lazarus 8
    David Lazarus 8
    JOHN AARON 61
    all above born in county except Elizabeth

See JewishGen 1851 Anglo Jewry data base
    ID 3465 Henry George Lazarus b 3 Dec 1815 Aldgate parents Lewis Henry Lazarus=Elizabeth AARON
    see also JewishGen UK London Traders data base-Lewis Henry Lazarus watchmaker 5 Bevis Marks Johnston 1818; Pigot 1834 5 Bevis Marks;Pigot 1836 3 Bury Street

There is a David Lazarus NSB L009 b Feb 6 1835 Harrow Alley -father Eliezer b Michael - he may or may not be relevant and also GSMa 027/28 marriage 1844 David Lazarus=Julia Walner- this David Lazarus father Eliezer- again he may or may not be relevant but always worth checking all data- see Synagogue Scribes Data base.
    I will look further.
    Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Again for clarity and to assist other researchers the following data from The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Robert Boyd Publisher records the death of Elizabeth LAZARUS- Death 11.5.1872 at Pritchard Street Portland Square Bristol, relict of the late Lewis Henry Lazarus of Bury Street St.Mary Axe London in her 80th year.. Maria ARONSON Daughter;John Aronson son in law;Julia BERENS daughter; Henry Berens son in law;Bernard Berens grandson;Mrs Moses BLANKENSEE daughter;Julia,Louisa,Rose Blankansee granddaughters;Mrs Saul SAMUEL daughter;Annie Samuel,Lizzie Samuel+1 other granddaughters;Annie SALAMAN granddaughter; Lizzie DAVIS granddaughter; F H Samuel;Lewis H Samuel grandsons

See also death of Emma Lazarus relict of Henry Lazarus formerly of 65 Fore Street London EC- 6.1.1875 in her 56th year-Lizzie LOWENSTEIN daughter; Rudolph Lowensteon son in law; Frederick Henry Lazarus son;W H Lazarus son

I have put the above names to assist others trying to identify and cross check the various related families.
    Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

As Phillip shows in his reply with the 1841 census information for Henry and Elizabeth Lazarus, there is no Alfred, only an Alexander. Alexander disappears from the family after this census.

Marriage for Eliza(beth) and Lewis Henry Lazarus (from synagoguescribes):
    Reference GSM 138/34 Date 1811 [20 Jun]

Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Lewis Henry
    Hebrew Name Eliezer Lezer (Son of a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Hirsh Pencil maker

Family Name AARON
    Forenames Eliza
    Hebrew Name Beila
    Father’s Hebrew Name Shlomeh Klein Aharon

According to the Records of the Franklin Family, Elizabeth had a brother John who married twice. Thus the John AARON (pawn broker) with the family in 1841 could be Eliza's brother. But there was another John AARON, also a pawn broker, in Birmingham who appears to have married twice; however, he was born around 1814 -1819. I don't know if this is another instance of the Franklin records having generations mixed up, or if there's no relationship between them.

[If the John AARONS I think is one person married twice, then he seems to have married Harriet NORWICK in 1840 (with John and Harriet appearing in the 1841 census), been widowed by 1851, and married Dinah BENJAMIN later in 1851 (appearing with her in later censuses), all in Birmingham.]

Phillip wrote: <There is a David Lazarus NSB L009 b Feb 6 1835 Harrow Alley -father Eliezer b Michael >
    The synagoguescribe records also have births for David's sisters (same father and address):
    NSB L008 Forenames Rosy Hebrew Name Reza Date 1832
    NSB L007 Family Name LAZARUS Forenames Hannah Hebrew Name Hannah BirthDate 1830 [Jan 20]

They're in Harrow Alley in the 1841 (and 1851) Census:
    Eleazer Lazarus 32
    Rachael Lazarus 32
    Hannah Lazarus 12
    Rosey Lazarus 9
    David Lazarus 6
    Sophia Lazarus 1

The David Lazarus born in Harrow Alley is unlikely to be the one with Elizabeth and Lewis in 1841 as he appears here with his own family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast