Thread: Sarah Mears

Default Sarah Mears

Hi
    It is as if the family came from mars
    Sarah Mears b abt 1835 Denton Lancs fathers name Henry Mears given at marriage to Jonathan Dodd at Northwich,She is down as servant at Rudheath 1851 giving Denton Lancs as Birthplace,we think it could be Sarah Ann Mears as she starts using that in later life after she remarries a Jones.
    Have found a Henry Mayers in Denton in 1841 with a Sarah but no Mothers name and they disappear after.

There is a Henry Mayers in Denton in 1851 HO107 piece 2235 folio 45 page 37 with a daughter Mary age 7 and a son Matthew age 4. They are lodging with William and Jane Wood family. Henry is a felt hat finisher. Both the Wood and Mayers family are all born Denton.
    neither ancestry or FMP are bringing up Henry and Sarah in the 1841 census. Do you have the piece, folio and page number references?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi
    Well that sounds like the 1841 Henry Mayers as in 1841 there is a Mary Sarah,John,Sarah wouldn't be there in 1851 as she in Rudheath by Northwich, still no mention of a Mother for the Children though.
    Except in 1851 Mary would be 17 as she was 7 in 1841 I did have a Mathew b 1837 so he would be 14 in 1851,Henry was 35 in 1841 making a birth year of 1806,i know another Henry turns up in Denton and his birth is 1818,i wonder if its transcribed wrong and they have taken 10 years off

Just had a look at 1841 census Henry 35 born in county is a hatter,John 10 not born in county,Mary 7 not born in county,Sarah 5 not born in county, Mathew 4 born in county

There are more Mayers in Denton, hatters, than you can poke a stick at.
    so 1841 HO107 Piece 581 Book 4 Folio 11 Page number 15
    Henry 35 (ages for those 15 and over in 1841 census only were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 so Henry could be age 35 to 39) Hatter born in county? Yes.
    John 10, No
    Mary 7, No
    Sarah, 5, No
    Matthew 4, Yes

Next door is a John Mayer, 45, hat maker. Born in county? Yes
    Mary 45, No
    Roleastein 25 No
    Hannah 15 yes
    Matthew 15yes
    Samuel 13 yes
    Mary 10 yes

I wonder if John is Henry's brother?

Sarah is probably saying she was born in Denton because she moved there as a very young child and that is all she remembers.

Roleastein/Rosthern? was born Cheshire in the 1851 census (in 1861 he says Denton, in 1871 he says Bredbury, Cheshire,) so I wonder if Sarah and some of her siblings were also born in Cheshire.
    Just been on Cheshire OPC but can't see a baptism for sarah. Also tried Lancs OPC Denton parish for all baptisms of Mayers and variations. rhere are 12 but children of John and Mary or matthew and Martha. 1796 to 1836,

Christina
    William Burroughs

The marriage of Sarah Mears to Jonathon Dodd
    Cheshire Diocese of Chester parish marriages 1538-1910
    Sarah Mears age 22
    Married 4 July 1858
    Spouse's Jonathan Dodd age 22
    Bride's father Henry Mears
    County Cheshire

Do you have the marriage certificate? if so what is Henry's occupation? You have worked your way back through the generations and Sarah Mears and Jonathon Dodd are definitely your line and only sarah is your problem?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Unfortunately I don't have the marriage certificate but think I will have to order it,yes I have the Dodd line the reason I have decided to try and breakthro this brickwall is I am waiting results of a Mtdna and Sarah Mears is the female line,have to see if I get any matches that might give me a clue as to Sarah's Mother but wont hold my breath,Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Found a possible baptism for Henry.Heaton Norris,Stockport isn’t that far from Denton. Stockport did have a hatting industry.

There is an image on Ancestry

Henry Mayer
    Birth Date: 12 Mar
    Father: John Mayer
    Mother: Mary Mayer
    Baptism Date: 29 Apr 1802
    Baptism Place: Heaton Norris, Lancashire, England
    Denomination: Wesleyan
    Piece Title: Piece 1470: Heaton Norris, Stockport, Manchester, Tiviot Dale Chapel

Quote Originally Posted by tommy tipper View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have the marriage certificate but think I will have to order it,yes I have the Dodd line the reason I have decided to try and breakthro this brickwall is I am waiting results of a Mtdna and Sarah Mears is the female line,have to see if I get any matches that might give me a clue as to Sarah's Mother but wont hold my breath,Thanks
    Hi
    Getting the certificate will give the father's occupation which will help in the search. If you do get it please come back and tell us what it says. We like to know how things are going.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Ok an Update.Marriage Cert states Henry Mears Hatter also in the last week I made contact with a US cousin on the same line who with her help I do have Sarahs Mothers name which was Elizabeth Manley,where it did fall into place,Now Henrys Parents are questionable we do have a Peter Mayer born 1814 Kinderton Cheshire which seems to linked somehow possibly Henrys Brother but the whole family moved around the country at ease as it turned out 2 of Henrys children were born in London before he went to Denton.I would love to help my new cousin in US to sort the Mayer line out after the help she has given me.