Thread: Ada Knott

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ada Knott

I am looking for an Ada Knott born about 1878 in Hull. I have looked on the General Records online but no birth comes up. There seems to be various spellings of her name on the censuses I have looked at, Nott, Not, Nutt. Her sister Mary Ann is listed as being born in 1880 in Hull with the spelling of Nutt. She also has a brother born in 1881 in Hull also with the spelling of Nutt. Where can I search to find her birth?
    Last edited by iangibson; 01-04-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: wrong year

Knowledgeable and helpful

I presume you have Ada in 1881 with parents Richard and Jane and sister Mary Ann.

Richard Knott married Jane Craddle Mar 1879 Hull 9d 332. Both Mary Ann and brother William have mother's maiden name as Cradle and Craydill respectively according to the GRO site.

The best I can find for Ada is

Ada Craghill Dec 1877 Hull 9d 258 no mother's maiden name given

Purchasing the birth certificate would prove things one way or the other.

Emeltee

Famous for offering help & advice

I agree with Ada Craghill as a possibility.
    FS have a baptism at Hull Holy Trinity Oct 1877 for Ada daughter of John Hunter, mason and Jane Cradle. Probably not married as married couples seem to have only one surname recorded.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'd found Mary Ann's birth with mother's maiden name of Cradle, and William's with mmn of Craydill. Then by searching FreeBMD for Ada birth registrations in Hull 1877-1879 I've literally just found Ada Craghill.

Hadn't got as far as Emeltee with the marriage, and hadn't even managed to find the 1881 census entry but I reckon that's Ada. Craghill is too near the spelling of Craydill for it to be a coincidence. (IMO - which has been known to
    be wrong before. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I agree with Ada Craghill as a possibility.
    FS have a baptism at Hull Holy Trinity Oct 1877 for Ada daughter of John Hunter, mason and Jane Cradle. Probably not married as married couples seem to have only one surname recorded.
    The Cradle/ Craighill family seem to have lived in Kingston Sq North St Hull, same street as on baptism. Jane's father Henry was a stonemason. Perhaps he employed John Hunter?
    A John Hunter b Lincolnshire 1847, stonemason is in Hull in 1871 and 1881, tho married.