Thread: Newbie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Newbie

Greetings from sunny Fife, I have just signed up to the Forum today, I have been researching my family tree since summer 2016 & have hit a number of brick walls, I'm hoping to garner some advice & possibly help break through these walls.
    I have found a great deal of information through Scotland's People. But some information I can't get a hold of. I think I need to try contacting various parishes to see if they have any records of them. Alas due to severe health issues I am unable to travel.
    The areas I will need to try and contact for information are:-
    Abdie
    Cupar
    Leslie
    Cadder
    Hamilton
    Glasgow

I have tried Ancestry but have found that a lot of the information has been out by at least 10 years.
    Anyway on wards & upwards

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. You will find that we have a good number of friendly and helpful people here.
    If you go to the top of the General Scottish Forum HERE, you'll find a collection of sticky messages about sources and background info for Scotland.

You'll find that most Scottish Parishes have now centralised their records in Edinburgh, but the county FHSs often have the more unusual information. You may also find a day at the National Records of Scotland (used to be the National Archives of Scotland) useful.

Of course, if you told us a bit more about your search (maybe one family line at a time), someone may be able to help.