patriciaberry38

Default Margaret Davison born 1810 Killead, Antrim.

Hello
    I am looking for a Baptism for Margaret Davison born around 1810 in Glenavy, Killead, Antrim.
    Her father was John Davison born 1776 who farmed in Ballymather, Glenavy in 1828 and died around 1839.
    Her mother was Margaret born 1776 and died in 1846 in Liverpool, England.
    I am looking for her Maiden Name and am hoping the Baptism will provide this.
    Thanks
    Pat Berry in Australia

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Pat,

Surely you mean that you're looking for the maiden name of the Margaret born 1776, the wife of John?
    The maiden name of the Margaret born in 1810, the daughter of John and Margaret Davison, is Davison.

So what you first of all you want the marriage of John Davison and a Margaret, in 1810 or earlier.

Have you found any online parish registers for the area and checked them?

Added: Unless, of course, most Irish PRs for that period give the mother's maiden name in a baptism record, in which case, then yes, the baptism of Margaret born 1810, will help.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

patriciaberry38

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Pat,

Surely you mean that you're looking for the maiden name of the Margaret born 1776, the wife of John?
    The maiden name of the Margaret born in 1810, the daughter of John and Margaret Davison, is Davison.

So what you first of all you want the marriage of John Davison and a Margaret, in 1810 or earlier.

Have you found any online parish registers for the area and checked them?

Added: Unless, of course, most Irish PRs for that period give the mother's maiden name in a baptism record, in which case, then yes, the baptism of Margaret born 1810, will help.

Pam
    Hello Pam
    Yes I mean the Maiden Name of Margaret born 1776 (Margaret Davison's mother).
    I haven't found a Marriage for John Davison and Margaret but it would have been in Glenavy and their first son Robert was born around 1800.
    Margaret Davison 1810 married my GG Grandfather Isaac Woodside and their first child Ellen Sophia was born in Liverpool, England in 1839. I couldn't find a Marriage for them in Liverpool, England so thought they must have got married in Ireland before they went to Liverpool.
    Thanking you
    Pat Berry in Australia

Knowledgeable and helpful

You haven’t said what denomination the family was. Ballymather is in Killead parish. There are 2 Church of Ireland churches for the parish (Gartree & Killead). Gartree has no records before 1899 and Killead none before 1838. Both sets of early records were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin. There’s a Presbyterian church in Killead whose records start in 1826 and another at Loanends with records from 1834. The RC records start in 1849.

The RC records are on-line on the nli site. The Presbyterian records are not, so far as I am aware. There is a copy of them in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to view them.

In short though, it doesn’t look as though there are any surviving church records for Killead for the years you need.

The 1851 Irish census for Ballymather has survived. I checked it to see if there were any Davison households in it, but there were not. Family had evidently all moved away.
    ELWYN

patriciaberry38

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    You haven’t said what denomination the family was. Ballymather is in Killead parish. There are 2 Church of Ireland churches for the parish (Gartree & Killead). Gartree has no records before 1899 and Killead none before 1838. Both sets of early records were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin. There’s a Presbyterian church in Killead whose records start in 1826 and another at Loanends with records from 1834. The RC records start in 1849.

The RC records are on-line on the nli site. The Presbyterian records are not, so far as I am aware. There is a copy of them in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to view them.

In short though, it doesn’t look as though there are any surviving church records for Killead for the years you need.

The 1851 Irish census for Ballymather has survived. I checked it to see if there were any Davison households in it, but there were not. Family had evidently all moved away.
    Hello Elwyn
    Thank you for that information.
    The father John Davison died in Ballymather in 1839. His widow Margaret went to Liverpool, England with 3 sons John, William and James and a daughter Ellen Jane and grandson Robert Davison.
    John and James went back to Ireland to marry. John married a Mary Smiley and went back to Liverpool to live. James married Margaret Rankin at Killead Church of Ireland in 1847 went back to Liverpool for the 1851 Census and and then went back to Ireland around 1854 and lived in Ballynadrentagh.
    Thank you very much for the information you gave me.
    Pat