Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Also I couldn’t find this census record! You have given me the reference numbers - can I do a search on ancestry to find the records using this? Although I’ve been doing family history research for some years now I am new to this sort of search! Thanks for your help. Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    You may already have it, but I also meant to add that with regards to the 1851 workhouse/lunacy admission and the mother's address of '3 Denmark Court Ter (?)'

1851 census has the following at No 18 Denmark Terrace - HO107, Piece 1499, Folio 675, Page 41
    Maria Syer, Widow, 65, Monthly Nurse born Pickenham, Norfolk

Although the PoB is Pickenham rather than Swaffham, the two places are very close so this looks highly likely to be the same Maria Syer as the one from 1861 living with daughter Ann. Her name also ties in with the mother of William baptised 1821 and living at 27 Hamilton Row in 1848.

Famous for offering help & advice

The 1846 is available on The Genealogist or from S&N Genealogy Supplies.

The 1848 is on Ancestry - select U.K., City and County Directories, 1600s-1900s then you should be able to select England > London > 1848 Post Office Directory

ADDED: Sorry, missed your second post. To find the census by reference numbers, from the Card Catalog select the 1851 England Census then in the relevant places type in the name and reference numbers i gave you.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 08-04-2019 at 7:39 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks jomot1 - that's a great help. Ann

Default Ann Syer

Hi Jomot1 - at the risk of being a nuisance can I just check something with you? In the reference numbers you gave me is the first one - eg HO107 - is that the Household Schedule Number? I couldn't find another box to put it in!
    There is still an 1851 record of Maria Syer at Denmark Terrace that I can't seem to find?
    The 1848 Post office Directory I did find - but are you able to do a search on that? I found the Wm Syer record by searching through the pages until I came to the letter 'S'!
    I also haven't found the 1851 Workhouse/Lunacy Asylum admittance record yet. It must be there somewhere!
    All these records are great to have and I am so grateful for your help but I want to find them for myself so that I can add them to my Tree. I am now convinced that Wm Syer the Basket Maker at the same address that Anthony was born at must be Anthony's father. I just have to search for all his records now.
    Thanks again
    Ann

The 1846 is available on The Genealogist or from S&N Genealogy Supplies.

The 1848 is on Ancestry - select U.K., City and County Directories, 1600s-1900s then you should be able to select England > London > 1848 Post Office Directory

ADDED: Sorry, missed your second post. To find the census by reference numbers, from the Card Catalog select the 1851 England Census then in the relevant places type in the name and reference numbers i gave you.

Famous for offering help & advice

HO107 is just the National Archives reference for the 1851 census, so no need to put that in any of the boxes, but if you are recording the source anywhere you should note the full reference as I gave it.

I’ve just checked, and Ancestry have transcribed her as Maria TYER

The Admission for Ann on 19 Aug 1851 is under the record set London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records. Just search for her there by name & birth year of 1824 & it should come up. She’s the 3rd admission on the left-hand page.

The Directories can’t be searched if you go into the specific directory, but if you just select the record set then in the Search fields put the name you want you can search like that. If you know the specific directory, such as the 1848 Post Office Directory, then you can specify that too & then search. Apologies if I sent you the long way around!

I’m on holiday now for a week but if you have any more questions I’ll try to answer them on my return.

Default Wm Syer

Thanks for all that info. I have searched the 1848 Post Office Directory again and went straight to the record this time! The other records I will search for again later. Like you I am away on holiday from the end of the week so not much time spare this week. Enjoy your holiday! Ann

HO107 is just the National Archives reference for the 1851 census, so no need to put that in any of the boxes, but if you are recording the source anywhere you should note the full reference as I gave it.

I’ve just checked, and Ancestry have transcribed her as Maria TYER

The Admission for Ann on 19 Aug 1851 is under the record set London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records. Just search for her there by name & birth year of 1824 & it should come up. She’s the 3rd admission on the left-hand page.

The Directories can’t be searched if you go into the specific directory, but if you just select the record set then in the Search fields put the name you want you can search like that. If you know the specific directory, such as the 1848 Post Office Directory, then you can specify that too & then search. Apologies if I sent you the long way around!

I’m on holiday now for a week but if you have any more questions I’ll try to answer them on my return.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234