Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Elizabeth Duckett born Kingsdon, Som. 1808

This one has defied me for so long now that it feels more like four brick walls, surrounding me.
    Benjamin Redman married Elizabeth Duckett, marriage yet to be located.
    1841 Census indicates both Benjamin (38) and Elizabeth (32) Redman were born in Somerset.
    1851 Census Benjamin (49, born Wedmore) Elizabeth (43, born Kingsdon)
    1861 Census Benjamin (58, born Wedmore) Elizabeth (53, born Kingsdon)
    1871 Census Benjamin (68, born Wedmore) Elizabeth (63, born Kingsdon)
    1881 Census Elizabeth Redman widow (73, born Kingsdon)
    Benjamin Redman would appear to be baptised Wedmore, 3 March 1802, son of William and Maria Redman
    Benjamin died 1877, Elizabeth 1885.
    I cannot find Elizabeth Duckett born Kingsdon 1808. The nearest I can find is
    Elizabeth daughter of Joseph and Sarah Duckett baptised Wedmore, 4 June 1809, born April 15 1808

The only Joseph Duckett marriage that I can find around that time is Joseph Duckett (Parish of Wedmore) marrying Grace Tilly (Parish of Meare) 26 May 1808

So who is Sarah, wife of Joseph Duckett and mother of Elizabeth (Born 1808)?

Any help, guidance, insight, anything at all, would be welcome.
    Thanks
    daryl

Only just started looking at this and found the baptism in 1808 Wedmore, father Joseph, mother Sarah but there is also another one with all the same names and places.born 15 April 1809 baptised 4 june 1809. Not what you are looking for but thought I would put it out there.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Daryl,

If you look on the second leaf of the 1841 census which has Benjamin and Elizabeth, there's a John Duckett age 79 who has a Wm Redman age 12 with him. Could they be relatives, perhaps John is Elizabeth's father and Wm her son?
    Alma

Name: William Redman
    Baptism Date: 2 Jul 1829
    Baptism Place: Wedmore, Somerset, England
    Father: Benjamin Redman
    Mother: Elizabeth Redman
    Alma

Name: John Duckett
    Birth Year: abt 1762
    Burial Date: 29 May 1846
    Burial Place: Wedmore, Somerset, England

That death certificate could be useful; it may list Elizabeth or her husband as informant!

A possible marriage

Name: John Ducket
    Marriage Date: 14 Apr 1789
    Marriage Place: Wedmore,Somerset,England
    Spouse: Elizabeth Buxton

The marriage is in this collection on Ancestry
    Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914 for John Ducket
    I cannot make out Elizabeth's parish, perhaps you can take a look yourself, the witnesses maybe a help too.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Only just started looking at this and found the baptism in 1808 Wedmore, father Joseph, mother Sarah but there is also another one with all the same names and places.born 15 April 1809 baptised 4 june 1809. Not what you are looking for but thought I would put it out there.
    Christina
    Thanks Christanel
    Actually I am wondering if this is the Elizabeth Duckett born in Kingsdon - I read the date of birth as 1808 - but baptised in Wedmore 15 months later?

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Daryl,

If you look on the second leaf of the 1841 census which has Benjamin and Elizabeth, there's a John Duckett age 79 who has a Wm Redman age 12 with him. Could they be relatives, perhaps John is Elizabeth's father and Wm her son?
    Now there is an idea worth pursuing ... collect Ducketts and Redmans in the vicinity and see if (or how) they are related.
    Thanks almach

Name: William Redman
    Baptism Date: 2 Jul 1829
    Baptism Place: Wedmore, Somerset, England
    Father: Benjamin Redman
    Mother: Elizabeth Redman
    I think that clinches the relationship you suggested earlier.... Thanks Almach - From the 1841 census I assumed that Elizabeth Redman (born 1831) was the first of Benjamin and Elizabeth's children. And William would have been out on his own in the 1851 census.... Well spotted almach

A possible marriage

Name: John Ducket
    Marriage Date: 14 Apr 1789
    Marriage Place: Wedmore,Somerset,England
    Spouse: Elizabeth Buxton

The marriage is in this collection on Ancestry
    Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914 for John Ducket
    I cannot make out Elizabeth's parish, perhaps you can take a look yourself, the witnesses maybe a help too.
    Elizabeth's parish is "of the same" i.e. Wedmore
    Thanks again almach

Hi Daryl,

Thanks almach. This astute observation coupled with your finding William Redman's baptism has breached this brickwall. I have yet to find Elizabeth Ducketts birth but this find in the 1841 census bypasses the need for that to a certain extent. Elizabeth Duckett's marriage to Benjamin Redman still eludes me, but thanks to your keen eye, I have crawled through the breach in the brick wall and am happily exploring what is beyond. It certainly pays to not have tunnel-vision when looking at census records and that is a valuable lesson you have imparted. Thank you
    daryl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast